Post your non-beer-related projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
It seems a lot of us who brew our own beer also enjoy other do-it-yourself projects.

Post some pics of your non-beer-related projects here!

Edit: I'll start...

Built a decent workbench for my luthiery habit a little while back:
workbench.jpg

workbench-1.jpg

I guess this is my current non-beer related project (though after a day of dealing with it, we really want a few dozen beers.)

mazurek.jpg

DN-RMazeWSU-240.jpg

The Wayne State University School of Medicine this week celebrates the opening of the Richard J. Mazurek, M.D., Medical Education Commons, the new education hub for Michigan physicians and the new face of the nation's largest single-campus medical college.

The building, paid for entirely with private donations, further cements the School of Medicine's ongoing commitment to the city of Detroit, and establishes a state-of-the-science training center for the university that educates the majority of physicians who practice medicine in Michigan.

The $35 million investment is a bright spot in a region that has experienced its share of difficulties in a challenging economy, university officials said.

"The opening of this facility ensures the best training for the majority of Michigan's doctors and researchers," said Robert M. Mentzer Jr., dean of the School of Medicine and senior adviser to the president for medical affairs. "This building stands as a testament that groups of dedicated people can pull together and make good things happen even in the face of economic difficulties."

The building nearly doubles the class space at the School of Medicine, vital considering that the Michigan State Medical Society anticipates that the state faces a critical shortage of physicians. The Mazurek Commons provides the facilities and opportunity for the School of Medicine to further expand incoming class sizes to meet the needs of the people of Michigan.

The building, which includes a newly revised Shiffman Medical Library, is named for Richard J. Mazurek, M.D., a 1961 graduate of the School of Medicine. Dr. Mazurek, now deceased, was honored with a naming gift of $10.2 million by his partner, Nick Labedz. That gift stands as the largest single donation to Wayne State University.

The three-story, 53,000-square-foot commons connects to the School of Medicine's Scott Hall via an elevated and enclosed walkway between the two buildings. The training facilities available in the new building will be among the best and most challenging in the nation. The Clinical Skills Center includes four simulation labs, two of which are fully functioning operating rooms. Each of the labs contains patient mannequins that can speak, breathe, bleed and display a spectrum of symptoms to test medical students. Instructors can observe students in action from outside the rooms and challenge students by constantly tweaking the "patient's" conditions.

The center will include examination rooms in which students and residents will interact with live "patients" trained to enact any number of symptoms and conditions. The exam rooms are fitted with cameras and all interactions are videotaped so that instructors may provide immediate feedback or review the tapes with students later.

"Many of our students tell us that they choose Wayne State University because of our ability to see and treat such a wide variety of conditions through our commitment to serve the regional population," said Robert Frank, M.D., executive vice dean of the School of Medicine. "This new building and our new training equipment will ensure that we continue to produce the physicians and researchers of the future."

Another key component of the new facility will be its ability to serve as a hub for Continuing Medical Education courses. Physicians from around the state and country will have access to ongoing professional medical education at the Mazurek Commons, bringing with them a welcome regional economic boost in use of hotel rooms, taxis and dining expenses.
"The opening of the Richard J. Mazurek, M.D., Medical Education Commons is another example of the university's commitment to professional medical education and research that will benefit not only Detroit and our region, but the nation as a whole," said Wayne State University President Jay Noren. "We are all very grateful to Nick Labedz for his generosity in making this a reality."

What this FAILS to mention, is that they rushed to have a grand opening last week, and have already started holding events in there, when in reality, we need at least another month to get the bugs out of the multi-million dollar audio-visual systems in the classrooms, that the AV install subcontractors have royally ****ed up...Not to mention that the environmental controls haven't been turned over to the University yet...so when they held a congressional subcommitte hearing in there monday, people were bitching that it was too hot...and all we could do was smile and say theat technically the building is STILL under construction.

Oh, and me and my partner are "technically" in charge of the AV in there, which they are already using...and we haven't been trained on the systems...so we DON'T know WTF we're doing....

Oh and our boss, who helped design the av systems....has been out of town all week......

I need a beer just ranting about it.....

:D

My non-beer hobbies? Wow- there are alot! I finished a room at my cottage that used to be a garage complete with drywall, window, insulation, wiring, baseboard, window trim and tile floor. I like building things, but not so great with power tools. I'm a maniac with joint compound. I'll get some pictures this weekend.

Also, the cheese making is busy. I make cheese once a week or so, but made two different kinds today. One's in the press right now (a two pound baby gouda that will be cut into 2 wheels) and one's draining for chevre.

Fishing! I've been fishing lately. Some nice bass (catch and release) and lots of blue gills.

I helped Bob with his new greenhouse. It's done, and looks great.

My fish pond and landscaping is coming alone nicely!

I've done some paddling, but not as much as I'd like to.

So far, I haven't had much extra time for biking but that's coming up, I hope.

Summers are short here, and I pack in lots of living in a short time. It helps that I'm hyperactive, though!

Nice, Revvy! Much nicer than my workbench. :D

Yoop--I've been browsing around about cheesemaking. One of these days I may just jump in. Any pics of the fish pond?

I guess I should also post some pics of my luthiery endeavors...

bridge_grounding_hole.jpg
strings_on_2.jpg

headstock_nut.jpg
neck_before_finish_leveling_1.jpg
3rd_oil_coat.jpg

guitar-1.jpg
neck_back_1st_coat.jpg

some more pics here

Here is my Bottlehead stereo tube pre-amp. I did a phono-pre as well.

Don't worry, this pic was the test run. It no longer sits on the floor.

Maiden Voyage.jpg

Nice, Revvy! Much nicer than my workbench. :D

Yeah, but I had help.....yours rocks even more, becasue you did it yourself...:mug:

One of my other "hobbies" is vintage baseball....We play by the rules of the 1850's thru the 1890's (before gloves)

Here's me in my "Adjudicator" (umpire) attire;

Referee1.jpg

PICT0099.JPG

PICT0092.JPG

that is awesome revvy... i suppose there is plenty of steam beer floating around those games.

hobbies besides brewing??? i used to have a bunch, but they're all gathering grain dust in the garage!

Here is my Bottlehead stereo tube pre-amp. I did a phono-pre as well.

Don't worry, this pic was the test run. It no longer sits on the floor.

That's awesome. I almost built a tube amp for my headphones, but just got a Meir Audio Arietta instead because bass is supposed to be better and more defined with a solid state, and Beyers go great with Meir Amps. I have the 880's.

I used to build lots of things for skatboarding and bmx when I was a kid, like miniramps, multi-level boxes with coping, etc, but lately I don't have the money to do much. I built this table last year. Would have been better, but this was all I could afford. Simple and clean.

n12932039_37922696_7700.jpg

n12932039_37922701_8990.jpg

n12932039_37922702_9306.jpg

n12932039_37922703_9625.jpg

What this FAILS to mention, is that they rushed to have a grand opening last week, and have already started holding events in there, when in reality, we need at least another month to get the bugs out of the multi-million dollar audio-visual systems in the classrooms, that the AV install subcontractors have royally ****ed up...Not to mention that the environmental controls haven't been turned over to the University yet...so when they held a congressional subcommitte hearing in there monday, people were bitching that it was too hot...and all we could do was smile and say theat technically the building is STILL under construction.

Oh, and me and my partner are "technically" in charge of the AV in there, which they are already using...and we haven't been trained on the systems...so we DON'T know WTF we're doing....

Oh and our boss, who helped design the av systems....has been out of town all week......

I need a beer just ranting about it.....

:D

Small world...I work for the Library System and am one of the few who manage and maintain the library system computers both staff and student located in Mazurek.

Curt

i am closing on a house on july 24th. the projects will include a new kitchen and 2 new bathrooms. pics to come soon

Recently bough a popup:
DSCF0049.JPG

Which had water damage in the storage compartment:

DSCF0026.JPG

That I replaced:
DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG

Also, taking my PMP certification on tuesday, that is more of a work related hobby, but time consuming none-the-less.

Small world...I work for the Library System and am one of the few who manage and maintain the library system computers both staff and student located in Mazurek.

Curt

YO Curt!!! Cool....Walk over the skybridge (ignoring the scary portrait where the eyes follow you.) AND come up to the Jaffar Lecture hall, in Scott....the projector booth on the 3rd floor is my office....

My partner and I were having a humorous B*tch session yesterday morning with the guard and the Librarian at the desk yesterday morning. We were complaining about all the little glitches already found...Like the leak in our equipment room at magario...and the cold air vent right over the the front desk in the new library lobby...Pumping cold air right on the people sitting at the desk all day...

Do you have those computers all up and running yet?

Projects besides brewing?

I'm landscaping my back yard this summer. Final plans include 2 floating decks, a pair of shade trees exactly 14' apart (for eventual hammock use), moving many yards of gravel, and completing a kickass grill station replete with prep area, gas grill, charcoal grill, and smoker.

Here's mine. 72 Mercury Comet GT

May03004.jpg

Interior001.small.jpg

Nice. Makes me miss my '71 stang (it wasn't fast, but it was bright yellow and a pile of fun :fro:)

Current Project: '77 Scout II. It's on hold while I find a welder (I guess I could get started on the EFI)
IMG00021.jpg

My other money pit I do custom car and motorcycle body and paint work.

I took ythis fatboy rear fender from this
fender.JPG

to this mock up
FEnder2.JPG

welded and leading
fender8jpeg.JPG

I dont use any bondo or plastic fillers for body work

painted with ghost flames ... Blue and violet dry pearl added to clear

fenderflame2.JPG

its like a pearl white paint job the flames are only seen under varying lighting

Picture on the bike no buffing this was done by sanding the first 3 coats of clear with 600 paper then 2 more wet coats with slow reducer

fender9jpeg.JPG

all together ,the gas tank and front fender are done the same way with ghost flames all factory rivets are shaved and smoothed

springer_rear.JPG

I also do ground up restorations of cars

current project 1962 Studebaker Lark convertible V-8 Standard trans . Its just about done now paint is PPG Deltron DCC 3 coats long blocked with 600 paper then 2 more wet coats

1962larkV-81.jpg

Latest posts

Back