forgot to dump my mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
After mashing the malted corn however many days ago....I forgot to dump my mash tun...it has been setting for DAYS. It is a converted cooler so I am worried the plastic will be nasty ( just thought about it..haven't emptied it yet) .....should I just clean it and soak in sanitizer or would you guys recommend a bleach bomb?

Depends on if you have any scratches on the interior plastic of the cooler. If it were me, i'd probably clean the grossness out of it then do a 20:1 water to bleach scrub and let it dry in the sunlight. Then, rinse it out and sanitize as usual for your next batch.

I would clean it real good and soak it in starsan. I did this same thing last summer too and it worked out fine with no residual smell or taste. I can tell you one thing. I wont make that mistake again. Mine sat in the sun on the back deck.... Whoa did it smell bad! good luck! ;)

I agree. My plastic fermenters sometimes get a strong old beer smell to them,even after having been soaked clean. I remove the spigots & clean'em. Then strsan it real well. The smell goes away then.

Back