First Batch Gravity Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nopunk

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on 1/18 with the Midwest Irish Red kit:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-red-ale.html

Expected OG: 1.042-1.046
Expected FG: 1.010-1.012

I left it in the bucket for 16 days where it fermented at about 59F. The OG was 1.050. So after 16 days I racked to secondary and took a gravity reading and got 1.020. My first thought was that I racked to the secondary too early and would see fermentation pick up again in the secondary. So I moved it to a warmer location to correct the possibility that it was too cold to ferment relatively quickly. It has been sitting for 6 days at about 63F. At no point did I see any bubbles or krausen formation. Tonight I decided to take a gravity reading and I got 1.020 again.

I guess the good news is that fermentation is done and the bad news is that the fermentation is done. I actually think the reason I’m getting the high FG is that I really wrung the holy hell out of my specialty grains after steeping. I’ve gathered that I’m putting extra unfermentables and possibly tannins from doing that which could account for the higher FG.

I’m just wondering both whether anyone has any experience with anything like this and if I’m worrying too much about my final gravity readings?

Search for the 1.020 curse. Revvy has chimed in many times. It's due in part to scorching and part to heat created during the manufacturing process.

Thanks for that. That seems to be the issue. Luckily, the beer is still good.

I'm just another nameless, faceless victims in a long line of nameless, faceless victims.

I feel so used and dirty.

Back