how long will yeast last in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pujiman

Reaction score
When i transfer to secondary around how much time do i have until the yeast settles out, to the point of not carbing when bottled?

When i transfer to secondary around how much time do i have until the yeast settles out, to the point of not carbing when bottled?

A Long Time (TM). Unless you filter your beer, you will have yeast in suspension. Even crystal clear looking homebrew has yeast floating around in it.

NEVER! MUUAAHHHAHAHA! sorry about the diabolical laugh, but it really does take a LONG time for ALL the yeast to settle out of solution. I've heard people say that you can cold crash 2 or even 3 times, and still have enough yeast in solution to carbonate in the bottle. I can't speak to the validity of this since I've never cold crashed, but I'd be tempted to say that there will always be yeast in solution...forever and always.

Back