1st time results / bakers yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
recipe: 1 gal martinelli's 100% apple juice (way over priced at $10/gal)
3 cups brown sugar
bakers yeast

i fermented in the plastic martinelli's bottle with a home made airlock for 14 days, racked and let it sit for 2 days, then got impatient so i cold crashed and racked to a bulk bottle. no gravity readings but PA was around 13%.

results:
after cold crashing i tasted my beautiful inebriating creation, and boy did it taste like the depths of satins anus.... ya, it was that bad.

instead of dumping my hard earned work i decided to back sweeten with .5 gal of martinelli's sparkling cider. i figured that the abv was around 10% so adding .5 gal of cider would only bring it down to 6-7% which is still worth wile, and boy did it make a world of a difference.

after back sweetening the cider turned out grate. it taste like apple juice bit hits you a little harder than a beer.

Bread yeast eats the sugar really quickly. A champagne yeast or even a cider yeast usually goes slower, making a more mellow brew.

I've used bread yeast once before and I had to let it sit for a few months before it cleared and lost the yeasty undertone.

i cant hate on baker's yeast to much, after back sweetening it was delicious. sadly i lost half the batch when a 1 gal bottle burst during pasteurizing, used a cheep wine bottle that couldn't hold the pressure. the other gal was lost to my stomach.

im going to use S-04 on my next batch but if i get in a pinch i wouldn't mind using backers yeast again. ive heard allot of bad things about it but i rather enjoyed my batch, after back sweetening the crap out of it.

There's plenty of discussion on here about baker's yeast. Ultimately, brewer's and baker's yeast are cultivated to do different jobs; hence having to backsweeten to (what appears) an extreme. Add to that, the fact that brewer's yeast can be as cheap if not cheaper than baker's yeast and I'm sure you'll see the benefit of keeping several extra packets of brewer's yeast around for future needs.

In the end, I guess it's to each his/her own.

:mug:

Back