Where to buy metal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
Well my welder is on the delivery truck and I am kind of really excited.

I've never welded before so I decided to build a welding table first to teach myself how to weld, and to get a good surface to work on for my brewing rig. I quickly sketched up some plans, a 3 x 4 foot 11 guage top surface along with 1" square tubing for the structure and got a quote from a local steel mill. They came back with $120! Seems WAY over priced for mild steel compared to the quote I got from online vendors.

So my question is where does everyone buy their metal? Mcmaster is too expensive, and I'd really like a local option, unless there is some really good online store. I live 30 minutes outside of Philly and can't really find anything.

Pennsylvania should have all kinds of places to get cheap steel :D You could search for scrapyards.....

Online Metals is good, so is Speedy Metals. Mild steel is much more affordable, but shipping will kill you.

Also, check craigslist. People will often give scrap steel away....

+ on the scrap yards. Usually you can pick stuff up there for a fraction of the cost new.

Are you asking the places to cut the pieces for you? That's where your cost is.

Metal places here get steel in 24' sticks. if you want them shorter you pay one of their guys to measure, mark and cut each piece for you. If you can get them delivered to the curb, can you drag out a circ saw with a metal blade on it and hack them down?

B

Latest posts

Back