Garden hose to 1/2 NPT T-fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
I'm trying to rig up a 1/2 NPT WATER (not wort) temp sensor inline with my plate chiller, between the end of the garden hose and the inlet of the chiller.

The ends of the garden hose and plate chiller are obviously GHT (Garden hose thread) and the temp sensor is 1/2 NPT. If there any way to rig this up?

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a GHT T-Fitting, I could then put a reducer GHT-to-1/2 NPT.

Thoughts?

MC

Our local hardware store has a GHT to 3/4 male adapter available in nylon. At least you now know that they are available. Try an HWI or TruValue store.

any place that has watts fittings in the little plastic white bags should have what you are looking for. i live in a town of less than 6,000 people and our little Menards store has that fitting. you dont need to go with 4 fittings like you were looking at. if you find the watts fittings they are usually arranged by diamter and they have a specific section for gardon hose adapter and the DO have one that goes diretly to 1/2 NPT both male and female.

Lowes has brass hose to 1/2" NPT female thread fittings. They might have to 1/2" male thread too. I happened to find this when setting up my sanke washer. I went with 1" PVC pipe off the pump, which has a garden hose adapter fitting on it. The brass fitting I got not only goes to the PVC threaded fitting (male thread) but also has a 1/2" NPT female thread in that same side. You could use that with a simple 1/2" NPT nipple to connect to the T fitting.

Personally, I really don't care what the chill water temp is going into the plate chiller. Ground water in this part of the country is typically cold enough to do the job well. City water can be warmer than well water in the summer, but otherwise, it's all good. Besides, it would be easy to simply take a glass of water from the hose, before connecting it to the chiller, and use an instant read thermometer on it to see what it's temp is. Since you probably already have such a thermometer, it means you get off on the cheap. Plus, you don't over-complicate your plate chiller. :rockin:

McMaster-Carr appears to have you covered: http://www.mcmaster.com/#garden-hose-fittings/=hgb3gc

If the link doesn't work correctly, it's catalog page 2081, according to the web site.

I learned about them here, and have since made more orders than I care to count. When the fitting is obscure, they are a safe bet for having it.

I have no connection to them, other than as a customer.

Yea I needed that fitting too and got it at HD.
I have really warm tap water here in CC Texas and have to run my hose to a garbage can full of ice and use one of those connections along the way. Hope you find what ya need

I ended up getting this:

3/4" GHT to 3/4 NPT, brass, (male to male) x 2
1 galvanized (remember it's for water, not wort) T, 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/4" (the sender is 1/4" NPT after I checked).

I'll use a couple of garden hose quick connects in front and behind to hook it up to my plate chiller.

AVL_0300036001.jpg

reelcraft-260730.jpg

Temp sender:

TC-K50MMNPT.jpg

MC

Latest posts

Back