WTF I like light beer, light in color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friday

Reaction score
Well I've been a long time in denial.

I've finally admitted to myself that I like light beer. Not any light beer but the light beer that I make and a very few micros.

I've always been a big fan of porters and stouts, it's pretty hard to mess that up. Light beer has been the beer that REAL beer guy don't do, something that people don't drink unless they can't get vodka or white wine, IE brew pub sisiys.

Why are there so few good malty, light ales and lagers available on the commercial market?

Light beer is good, but why aren't there many good light beers?

I'm confused, what is your definition of a light beer, are you talking about an "American Light Lager" or are you talking about a light colored beer that may be a lager or it may be an ale, like a Cream Ale, or a Classic American Pilsner (CAP) or an IPA that is light in SRMS?

The question was to good light beers on the commercial market, which I would agree to, to some degree. There are lots of APA's out there. Only a handful I find very good. (I can think of the ones around Boston I know I don't like...can't really think of ones I like off hand)

I haven't seen any commercial cream ales, and instead of blonde ales everyone in the commercial aspect fills that space with different hefeweizens.

I see a few Micro-brewed Pilsners around. I'm just not a fan of most pilsners so I can't speak to that.

I recently had an Asahi Super Dry, a japanese lager that I found had surprisingly more body than I expected and although I'm not a lager guy it was very enjoyable with my Sushi.

Do you have access to Redhook? They came out with a Pilsner maybe a year ago now and So far it is my favorite of the style.

Bought a six pack of miller yesterday. It was the best thing the party store had in a can that would fit my chicken.

It was even better than my tap water!

I keep the blonde from brewing classic styles in the keggerator at all times. I find that it is nice to have a beer I can have a few of while working around the house or in the yard. It is also nice to have something on tap that the BMC guys will drink. Makes for a good stepping stone to bigger better things.

Biermunchers centennial blonde rocked, and so did NB Patersbier for sure. But I agree, this craft beer almost aways pushing north of 6.8abv makes it tough to have more than 2 for me. I've been encouraged lately with 21A's Bitter American, Uinta Wyld etc. Although they aren't light beers as light lagers are, they are similar in weight abv wise. Another reason I love homebrewing, I can brew them all I want.

Back