Des Moines, Iowa area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btam13

Reaction score
I just started brewing a week ago and have my first batch fermenting right now. A traditional stout extract kit from Midwest. I think I am already hooked and want to try my hand at hard cider also. Does anyone know what retailers in the metro have apple juice in 1 gallon glass containers?

greeting from.... well... central Iowa :p don't know about 1 gallon glass, a few from the local brew club use the hy-vee juice.

Local brew club, huh? Ames area here.

Some, I understand, use a balloon with a pinhole in it for an 'airlock'.

I have 40 gallons of home-pressed cider in the freezer in plastic gallon milk/water jugs. The two-year old stuff brews up nice and clean, as if the plastic didn't let too much through, so I'd wonder if a person might ferment on the cheap in those.

There are 2 beer clubs in dsm, and 1 in ames. I've went as simple as leaving the lid loose for some welches wine (shuddup i just wanted to say i did it) to drilling the lid and putting a grommet and air lock in. Other containers to look at would be cheap wine jugs, water jugs(2,3,5 gallon pretty easy to find), white 5 gallon buckets from Lowes work too.

All great options, but I do prefer to see my concoctions fermenting and I do prefer to try to do things right the first time to maximize my chances of good results. I have seen that #6 rubber stoppers fit the 1 gallon glass jugs that Midwest sells. I wonder if those jugs have the same neck diameter as the 1 gallon glass jugs that apple juice comes in. Of course, none of this matters if I can't find a retailer in the metro that has juice in 1 gallon jugs.

Back