best software for a newb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caligirlbrewer

Reaction score
Sorry if this thread is a repeat....I'm new to Homebrewing and am trying to find the most user friendly beer software. Right now I'm just using a notepad, but would like to advance to something more modern that helps tracking my beers and helps me adjust a recipe before I make it. There seem to be a variety of programs out there...brewsmith, brewtarget, promash, etc.

So I guess my question to the forum is which software do you like best and why?

Cheers

Beersmith is what I use, a great program, only took a little time to figure out. There is a help file that does help some. I liked beer smith because it was more user friendly than promash. Before I sold my Ipad I used Ibrewmaster it was very user friendly, more than beersmith, but I sold the pad for a kindlefire. Both cost a little but are totally worth the money either way you go. I'm hoping the make a version for the kindle.

Depends on what type of OS you are going to use. I have a Mac and fell in love with Beer Alchemy. Beersmith 2 is for Mac but does not have the sync capability between devices like Beer Alchemy does. The best way to see which ones will work for your personal taste is to use the free trials. Nothing to lose that way.

I agree with the trials, but I ended up going with beersmith because of the features and ease of use. It works on any OS so no worries there. It also seems to be what a lot if people use and Brad Smith is pretty good about eventually getting feature requests and bug fixes.

If you want something simple to get started and free there are a few good ones, brewtarget comes to mind also just found this one the other day at hopville, very simple and easy to use for a beginner. I tried the trial version of beersmith and will probably buy the software soon.
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Back