Burner upgrade question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashing

Reaction score
Here's the burner I have....

ForumRunner_20120304_182842.jpg

You can see that it has the standard style cheapo flame thrower. I've been thinking about upgrading the flame thrower to a 10" banjo burner and a 30 psi Reg. My question is, do I run the risk of damaging the stand with the additional btu output? Another option would be to just upgrade the Reg and keep this burner. Still same question though. It would kinda suck to have the stand fail under 11 gallons of sort!

Are the welds in good condition? If so, I think you'll be fine. How many Btu's are you pushing with that? I have a 20psi version of that burner and it throws around 185k btus, same looking stand and it's held up very well with 10-15 gallon batches

I have the same basic style and have never been able to get a good clean flame. So I'm thinking of upgrading myself.
the bottom line here is I'm interested to hear what is said.

What is the absolute minium btu burner that I can use in AG brewing. I am going to use keggles brewing 5 gal batches. Will 30,000btu work for a while?

What is the absolute minium btu burner that I can use in AG brewing. I am going to use keggles brewing 5 gal batches. Will 30,000btu work for a while?

Burner BTU ratings are not universal. Where the KAB4 is rated (by Bayou) at 210k BTU, the Blichmann is rated at 72k BTU, but does a better/faster job than others. I'm actually able to get more wort to a boil faster on my Blichmann than I could on the KAB4 burner. Even though the elements appear identical, the Blichmann is a better overall product (IMO)...

Latest posts

Back