70°+ Fermentation in Winter..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
Have any of you devised an easy way of keeping fermenters warm during the winter months? I know there's bucket/carboy heating pads and the like, but I was wondering what other methods have been successful for you all. I'm wanting to brew a Hefeweizen next month and keep it above 70° to accentuate the banana and clove esters. Here in Michigan, it's tough to keep my house above 67° or so without the furnace continuously running. Space heater in a small room? I'm know the easy answer is just "wait until Summer", but this brew is a gift for someone's birthday in mid-February.

What's worked for you?

I'd get one of those heat blankets for aquariums. However, I'm very interested in your deliberate attempt to ferment hot. I did that in error and my hefe came out very citrusy. It wasn't terrible but wasn't amazing.

The brew belt or ferm wrap work the best IMO along with a temp regulator so you can control the temperature. Some will also use heating pad. If you have a ferm chamber you can use those reptile heaters from the pet store or an incandescent light bulb in a can. If you have a swamp cooler set up you can use an aquarium heater to warm up the water bath.

I'd get one of those heat blankets for aquariums. However, I'm very interested in your deliberate attempt to ferment hot. I did that in error and my hefe came out very citrusy. It wasn't terrible but wasn't amazing.

I just keep reading that the best way to produce the strongest banana and clove notes are to keep the fermentation above 70°. My last hefe was fermented around 64-66°, and didn't have much banana or clove at all. (WL 300 liquid).

I just keep reading that the best way to produce the strongest banana and clove notes are to keep the fermentation above 70°. My last hefe was fermented around 64-66°, and didn't have much banana or clove at all. (WL 300 liquid).

Yes, about 70 is ideal for more banana flavor/aroma although it also depends on the yeast, I like WY 3068 for my Hefes. Also, under pitching can bring out those traits as well although that is not something I do.

Try a Fermwrap with an STC-1000 controller. About $50 total investment, but you'll never have to crank your furnace up just to keep your fermenter warm.

I will definitely look into this. Thanks!

My fermentation room doubles as out furnace room. I just keep a slightly closer eye on the brew and the temps than in summer, and move it a big closer if I need to.

Back