Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
So I have a wheat in the fermenter and after 10 days I added some raspberry. I have no seen airlock activity which I know doesn't necessarily mean fermentation isn't happening and maybe I missed it altogether. I guess I will wait another week or so before I start checking gravity. Any suggestions or comments?

You have it right. Activity from a secondary addition of sugar (raspberry) can be all over the place. Let your hydrometer tell you when its done.

I checked on my raspberry wheat tonite. I still do not or have not seen any active bubbling I the airlock and again I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. One thing I do notice though is what I am wondering about. I am fermenting in a plastic pail with lid on "tight". Out of curiosity I applied a slight amount of pressure to the lid and observes rapid bubbling in the airlock. Is this the build up of CO2 in the bucket or just a matter of displacing some air in the fermenter? I am wondering if the gas is escaping due to a mom airtight lid. Thoughts?

I would say that you have positive pressure (co2) and probably have a leaky seal. That is one reason I dislike fermenting in buckets. I use Better Bottles.

I would say that you don't have anything to worry about. Wait a little longer then check for final gravity, if done, go ahead and bottle it.

That's what I suspected too. It's only been a few days since I added the raspberry so I was going to let it set for at least a week. I'm really excited about this beer. Hope it tastes good as I envision. Thanks for the input.

Checked my wheat today. Added fruit a week ago so I wanted to see where gravity was. A bit high but almost there. Very cloudy and much more red color than expected. Also much more fruit flavor than expected. I'm wondering if should transfer to secondary to clean it up a bit. I know it's not necessary and I was going for an unfiltered wheat but this is really cloudy. Thoughts?

A bit of the cloudiness should fall out when you chill. It may bring it down to an appropriate level. Speaking from a wine perspective you may be suffering from a pectin haze? I am unsure if we experience that in the beer world, I have never used fruit in beer. Out of sheer curiosity, how much raspberry did you add?

I have used pectic enzyme in my fruit wines to rid myself of pectic haze. I have no idea what it will do in beer however so wait for the experienced folks;)

I used about 2 lbs in 5 gallons. I added a purée after about 2 weeks in the fermenter. Added purée directly to the primary.

Depending on how cloudy it is, it may clear some more. Most wheat beers are a bit cloudy and that is normal. I would not stress to much about that.

Last nite I checked gravity again and also tasted. The gravity is right on with the first reading so it looks like I'm ready to bottle. The taste was decent but did have more fruit flavor than I expected. Heck my wife liked it so that's pretty good. Also not as cloudy as previous sample. Looking forward to getting this in the bottle as sampling again in a few weeks.

Tries the first bottle of the raspberry wheat. It's not well carbed after two weeks and it has a much fruitier taste than I expected. It's not bad tho.

Ok so my raspberry wheat has a bit of a sour taste from the fruit. Will this subside over time?

You used to much fruit. Use 1/3 if adding at the start of fermentation. If you are new to this use extract.
Lets learn some chemistry kids. Yeast lives off sugars. The bi-product of this is c02. If it stops bubbling all together the yeast is almost all done. If you carbonate your keg, who cares but if you bottle, it is important to know. You need a little yeast alive to carbonate your bottle.
Anyways, enjoy your drink and remember to cut back on the additives next time if they add to much flavor.
Every batch is different and its all good beer. :)

Well, I added about a third of what is typically recommended. Also I added the fruit after fermentation was nearing completion into the primary. I let this set for at least a week. About the chemistry thing, I know what the reaction is and I know what it takes to make it happen. I guess it's that degree in chemistry but what do I know b

Back