Mix Oregon Puree with water before racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
I have a wit in the primary now - want to rack onto a big can of Oregon fruit puree in the 2ndary after 14 days. I've used fresh fruit before, but never tried the Oregon puree before.

Some people seem to think the puree is difficult to properly mix with the beer when racking. Does anybody mix the puree with water first? Before adding to 2ndary and racking? I was thinking to mix the can with about 1/2 gallon of sterilized water and go from there.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, comments or criticism is welcomed. Thanks

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Why would you mix with water? Pour the contents in your secondary and rack. I don't see why the turbulence created from the secondary fermentation wouldn't be enough to get everything blended.

I didn't think about secondary fermentation as being a natural mixer.

I was thinking that after 14 days in the primary, the yeast would be less likely to kick into full gear again and mix things properly.

My thought is that mixing the puree sludge with a little water will make it easier to blend in with 5 gallons. Again, never used the puree before so I could be overly concerned about this.

I just did a raspberry wheat. This was canned Oregon whole raspberries, not the purree. Turned out great. I just spun mine up in a sanitized blender for about 2 seconds, poured into carboy, and racked beer on top. I did not do any mixing. I think the re-fermenation will be more vigorous than you think.

Just dump it in and rack onto it. The puree is pretty thin, I used the cherry many times in the past with my stouts and it mixes completely with just the force of the beer being transferred.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the canned fruit will be much thinner when blended because it comes in a light syrup. The puree is more sludge like. I may use the canned Oregon fruit if I don't find the correct puree at my LHBS.

How many cans of the raspberries did you use? And how long did the beer sit on the fruit? I may just go this route, instead of the puree.

I split my 5 gallon batch so I could add remaining cranberry extract for about 1/3 of the batch. So I added 2 cans of Oregon canned raspberries (15 oz each?) to ~ 3.5 gallons of beer in secondary.

I wouldn't want any more fruit in there, it was pretty up front with that level of fruit on a hygrometer tasting. I'm guessing it melds together with the beer while bottle conditioning. So no more than 3 cans needed for 5 gallons. It sat in secondary for 3 or 4 weeks, but would have been ready after 2. I just waited until my big brew day last Sunday due to time constraints.

Cool, thanks everyone.

I'll be adding the fruit in about 10 days so I have time to decide if I'm doing puree or blended fruit.

Back