Brewed My First Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyd

Reaction score
Brewed a porter today and I'm really excited. It was a good brew day overall. I avoided a boil over by adding Fermcap when I noticed everything rising instead of adding it right at the beginning. I did have one boil over when I added the 5 min. hop addition and had to run inside real quick. I thought I was okay because I had lost enough volume during the boil. I couldn't chill outside because my hose was frozen, so I had to bring everything inside to chill. OG was about 1.052-1.054. It was hard to tell because there was almost a small head on the sample in the wine thief.

My question: I bought a couple of BetterBottles last weekend and figured that since the biggest one is 6 gallons, and this is the highest OG I've started with, I'd better start with a blow off tube. I bought 5/8 inch tubing and it seemed to fit just right on the bung that goes into the BetterBottle. But now after getting everything set up, I'm realizing that it is almost a little too big. It wants to slide right off. I can position it so that it stays, but it comes off fairly easily. If I have a blow off, will this be okay? Should I just put on an airlock? I don't have a HBS anywhere near me to pick up some tubing. Coudl I get tubing for a blow off at a store like Menards or Fleet Farm? Does it need to be food grade? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

The blow off tube that I use fits snugly into the neck of the carboy. I am sure that you could find something that size in the hardware store.

Thanks for the suggestion. The BetterBottles have a wider opening than glass carboys. I'm not sure exactly how much bigger the opening is because both of my better bottles are full at the moment.:ban:

So I'm assuming that it doesn't need to be food grade tubing since it's just for a blow off? This is my 6th batch and I've actually never used a blow off tube.

I can usually wiggle my hose into the standard bung, but it can be a real hassle. What I ended up doing was making a single 3/4" slit in the end of my tube. That allows me to point the tip of the hose. It works into the bung MUCH easier. I get it down in there enough so that the hose ends up expanding out to its regular size in the hole. So far, no issues with it.

Back