Trub and Grain Disposal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it OK to dump this stuff down the drain? I'm on a septic system and don't want to upset the Enzyme's in the system. But I don't know, maybe the brewing debris is good for the septic devil's. Kinda like an Enzyme party.

But I also don't want to dump it in the yard and have the dog get to it.

Compost heap?

My dog (as anyone who tuned into my brewcast yesterday afternoon can testify) loves spent grains, so I always give him a scoop or two when I empty the mash tun.

Dumping trub into the septic shouldn't be problematic.

The spent grain is ok for the dogs. Mine always get some. Sometimes my wife makes Doggy Holiday treats from the spent grains. That and bread.

The trub is a different story. Keep the dogs away from that. Some dogs find hops EXTREMELY toxic. Greyhounds are the worst. The good news is that trub is great for your septic. The yeast and everything else in there just gets devoured by the enzymes down there and makes them very healthy and active.

I asked my septic guy about it a while back, and that's what he told me.

Compost pile, feed them to the chickens, dump in a pile out back for the wildlife. But not the trash or drain.

Trub is great, it is alcoholic, but watered down it is good on plants, i usually half fill the fermenter with water and stir the trub in then water a few plants with it. I did used to do it with less water but i almost killed a rosemary with it so now i dilute it more. I believe spent grain is bad for some livestock in large quantities, everything in moderation is probably ok

for those of you with septic tanks we give to you our heartfelt thanks

by putting nothing in the pot thats not Guaranteed to rot

no hair combings use the basket

there is a darn good reason why we ask it

:rockin:

on the nanobrewery thread posed here recently there was a link to a guy running a brewery that has a whole page on sustainability. apparently he hands his grains off to a rancher raising cows i think it was, and is working on finding a bakery to see if they can use the yeast.

Back