Yet another stoopid N00b question - Pale ales??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSMICT

Reaction score
Ok, I have done a search, many in fact (Here and other places).

Not sure if this is the best place or if I should go back to the beginners forum (Sorry if I'm in the wrong place).

OK, here I go <swallowing pride> <willing to accept scorn and jokes>

I don't know a whole lot about beer, I have tasted many, liked a few and disliked many more. The beer I seem to love the most is a Pale Ale (Local micro brew), but my question here is "How do I determine what type of pale ale?" I see many different types listed (India, English, American, Btter, ect.)

is there a place I can go to learn more about beer (ales in particular)? I have read alot of info, but to be honest, I'm not sure if the beer is hoppy or full bodied (as I really can't say what any of the above mean) so I terms like that really aren't very usefull to me at this point.

I am very anxious to start brewing, and by this weekend I will have the equipment that (I think) I need to start, but I'm reluctant to buy a kit without having a refrence to work from. (seems like alot of work If I really don't like the type of beer I make)

I think the easy answer is to go and buy several types of Pale Ale off the shelf and then look for a 'copy' in kit form, but as I allued to earlier I am very picky on what I like in a beer and don't drink much of the stuff. (also not alot of variety avalible around here in 'specialty beers')

Any asnwers would be appreciated, including DO MORE SEARCHING, but I need a direction to go from here.

TIA

Check out the wiki. Click on beer styles, then go from there. I spend a lot of time reading in there.

As far as hoppy, hops at bitterness when boiled, the longer they are boiled the more bitterness you get out of them. Hops also add flavor and aroma, and lots of different kinds of flavors depending on which hops you use. They add more flavor and aroma with a shorter boil time. That's why most recipes call for some hops to boil longer than others, so you get the bitterness and some flavor/aroma.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki under styles of beer, click American Ale you will see American Pale Ale, I'm betting this is similar to what your micro brewery makes, unless they specifically call it an IPA or an English Pale Ale.

What i would do is first head over to the Wiki (should be a link above) and look at each "style" of pale ale, what it's known for and what to expect. Look at the English Pale Ales (styles 8a, 8b, 8c), India Pale Ale (14a, 14b, 14c) and American Pale Ale (10a) In each section if I'm not mistaken is a list of comercial examples. Take that list then head to your local booze store. Find the one with the best selection possible and purchase 1 beer from each style.

Once you have your 7 beers head over to Beer Advocate and look up each beer so you have an idea of what you will be tasting.

After you've done all that . . . drink up but pay attention to what you notice, like and dislike and take notes so you wont forget (7 beers can me me do that sometimes)

z987k said:
who;s the micro and what is the name of the beer?
Ok, I'm an idiot....

after looking at the website (little apple brewing company I found the following link http://www.littleapplebrewery.com/brewery/ourbeer.htm wich answerd my question) Prarie Pale Ale

The brew is an IPA, as I assumed.

My appologies, I guess I should have started from the source, :drunk:but assumed they would be reluctant to provide info :cross: .

I appreciate the comments so far,and would welcome others. I hope to start with something comparable and eventually (in my dreams) surpass this nectar, but I also believe that there are other styles out there which would satisfy my (admitidly selective) palate.

I am now decided on an IPA extract to begin with and now would solicit ideas on an extract kit that others (Obviously those who like a strong IPA which balances high ABV with 'body' / 'flavor') (Mail order suggestions please)

Following this project (hopefully while this sits in the primary) I would like to try a 'hard lemonade' (Mikes Clone for SWMBO) and a few sodas for the kids, suggestions welcomed.

I found this pdf earlier tonight. I think it's beautiful. More information than I needed on beer types/styles and what to look for in them.

It's Brewer's Association 2007 Beer Style Guidelines. Here's an excerpt from the first on the list:

Code:
Classic English-Style Pale Ale
  Classic English pale ales are golden to copper colored and display earthy, herbal English-variety hop character. Note that
“earthy, herbal English-variety hop character” is the perceived end, but may be a result of the skillful use of hops of other
national origins. Medium to high hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma should be evident. This medium-bodied pale ale has low to
medium malt flavor and aroma. Low caramel character is allowable. Fruity-ester flavors and aromas are moderate to strong.
Chill haze may be in evidence only at very cold temperatures. The absence of diacetyl is desirable, though, diacetyl
(butterscotch character) is acceptable and characteristic when at very low levels.
Original Gravity (ºPlato):
1.040-1.056 (10-14 ºPlato)
Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato): 1.008-1.016 (2-4 ºPlato)
Alcohol by Weight (Volume):
3.5-4.2% (4.5-5.5%)
Bitterness (IBU): 20-40
Color SRM (EBC): 5 - 14 (10-28 EBC)

link to pdf: http://www.beertown.org/education/pdf/BA_Beer_Style_2007.pdf

For sites check out:
Austin Home Brew IPA's
Northern Brewer Ale's (you will have to scroll down)
Midwest Supplies Amber Ales (you will have to scroll down)
More Beer English IPA

Have fun looking at those. All of them have consistently good reviews and good prices. I would look at the English ones if I were you comma it seems to be the style of the beer you like.

Ok, I went to the LHBS yesterday, and picked up the last few supplies I need.

And I decided on a 'Brewer's Best' partial mash IPA

Anyway I hope to get all of my equipment organized today and make sure I have what I need, and will start this batch this afternoon or Sun after work.

Thanks for all the support.

(edit)
My fault, I was mistaken. this kit has steeping grains. It is not a partial mash

You realize partial mash involves more equipment and more steps than basic extract brewing right?

Back