Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamplawn

Reaction score
Im looking for a Basic pale ale recipe i can brew and then in the future manipulate the brew to make it a great brew. Im trying to really learn and pic apart pale ales to really understand them

Anyone have any sources or ideas?

I would suggest "Brewing Classic Styles". They are all good recipes to begin with and then you can branch out from there.

It is pretty tough to get more basic than a pale ale imo. A good starting point for me was:

93% Pale Malt (MO or any north american malt will do)
7% Crystal, use your imagination any lovibond will work
Mash - If you like it dry mash 149F-151F, decent body 152F-155F, chewy 156F-160F
Yeast - personal preference, a good starting point would be a clean ale yeast like 1056(us05 for dry).
Hops: any hops, depends on your tastes. Do not have the Pale Ale style numbers, but a good starting point would be high alpha hops for 1/3 of your IBUs, then your flavor hops (IE cascades or whatever) can amount for 2/3s of your IBUs. This typically gets you a nice hop profile. Explore FWH and HOPBURSTING later on.
Ferment - Aim for low end of the range for the yeast for the first 3 days or so to avoid esters. Primary about 3 weeks, bottle, condition for 2 weeks. Drink.

This gets you a backbone - then you can mess with it from there. So much fun, pale ale can take you so many directions :)

Latest posts

Back