Oatmeal Stout - still stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I brewed an Oatmeal stout on 12/26 (og 1.067). I went to keg the beer on 1/29, but the fg was only 1.025. My basement had gotten cold, and I figured the s-04 went to sleep on me.

I moved the beer up to the kitchen, and waited a week. I checked tonight, and the fg is at 1.023. It did ferment a little more, but still higher than beersmiths estimate.

beersmith og est was 1.057. I actually got 1.067 due to "extra special efficiency day". Beersmiths fg estimate is 1.015, and I'm at 1.023.

I'm looking for opinions on if I should keg now, repitch, or something else. I did rouse again today. I am starting to want this batch off of the yeast cake, as it has been almost 6 weeks on the cake. I haven't left a beer that long in primary.

thoughts?

By a strip heater to keep it at a nice fermentation temperature. Once you get it warm enough (you have a fermometer right?), if it does not go back into fermentation after a quick rousing, I would transfer and repitch.

Keg! If you were bottling I could understand the concern. How does it taste?! Beersmith's estimate just assumes 75% attenuation no matter what yeast you select. That's more than I often get, especially with S-04. My Irish Red used S-04 and I got about 60% attenuation. You got 64%!

I had a PM oatmeal stout do the same thing (although with Windsor yeast). It got stuck at 1.024. I repitched with Nottingham and warmed it up...no change. I finally just bottled it. It's a little sweet for my taste, but everyone who has tried it loves it. (Took it to a family party yesterday and got lots of complements.) My opinion is that 1.024 isn't really all that sweet. Yeah, it's very slightly sweet, but only noticeable to the picky drinkers.

This is the batch that got me to work out a system to control fermentation temps. I did this batch during the fall (in New England) and we had a dramatic temperature drop outside (which makes my basement cold). My fermentor dropped below 60F. I think that put the yeast to sleep. Now I use a water bath and aquarium heater.

Latest posts

Back