What equipment do i need,i already brew beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a few months now with excellent results.Not one bad batch.I think i may want to try wine now too.I have a bunch of stuff most home brewers do,a bunch of five and 6 1/2 gallon glass carboys,sanitizers,brushes EXT.What would i need to buy to make a batch of wine from one of the kits from Midwest,i certainly do not need a starter kit as i have some of the stuff already.

Most wine kits make 6 gallons, so a 6 gallon carboy is needed. You could use a 5 gallon carboy and a one gallon jug in a pinch, but it's harder since you have to add clarifiers and stabilizers at the end. You can use a 6.5 gallon carboy as a primary, or even an ale pail, but need a 6 gallon carboy for secondary. You'd need a corker (or borrow one from the homebrew store), corks, and wine bottles. You should have everything else you need.

I did the same thing, started brewing first and now making wine also. I had to buy a 6 gallon carboy and a corker. Carboy was around $30 and the corker was maybe $15 and I was ready to go. Also, will need to collect 30 wine bottle so start saving them up.

Ok,Thanks guys.Just curious,why Can't i use a 6 1/2 carboy instead of a six?

Ok,Thanks guys.Just curious,why Can't i use a 6 1/2 carboy instead of a six?

You can for primary, but it's kind of a pain to clean. I prefer buckets for primary, because some of those wine kits have oak chips and the like and it's not as easy to clean around the top. It doesn't matter though- some oxyclean will do the trick anyway.

For secondary, you will add the clarifiers and degas. After that you will want to top up to reduce headspace. You want to add water to just below the bung, so the headspace is minimized. If you add enough water to do that in a 6.5 gallon carboy, you'll water down your wine way too much.

Ok thanks.I guess i just need a corker,bottles and a carboy.Not bad!

Latest posts

Back