Tips to monitor water temp without a thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
I have been "eyeing" it when I do it. Supposedly the water is approx 155 when steam starts to rise off of the water, and around 190 when the pot begins to make some noise.

Any other tips that may come in handy? I often worry the grains are steeping at too high a temp. If that were to happen, how does it affect the taste of final product?

Signed, brew n00b

Is this a joke? Buy a friggin thermometer, there is no substitute and it's mandatory for this hobby.

Is this a joke? Buy a friggin thermometer, there is no substitute and it's mandatory for this hobby.

QFT (quoted for truth)

Seriously, take a couple beer bottles to the recycling station and buy a cheap thermometer and calibrate with ice water and boiling water.:drunk:

Research decoction mashing, no need for a thermometer.

Don't you still need to mash in at a certain temp. and then know when to mash out when decocting?

Plus, decocting was a solution to poorly modified grain (and maybe not having readily available thermometers). It takes at least twice as long to do as a traditional infusion mash, so if your time is worth anything at all, a thermometer is a MUCH better solution.

I agree with everyone else - buy a thermometer - There is a reason that every brewery in the world probably uses them. However, here is an article that touches on temp. control in brewing hundreds of years ago in the absence of thermometers if you are interested in making your brew day more difficult and far less accurate, or simply recreating a historical brew day.

http://www.breweryhistory.com/journal/archive/121/bh-121-066.htm

Any tips to measure final gravity without a hydrometer or refractometer? I'm trying to create a formula using airlock bubbles per minute to pin down FG.

j/k

Pretty exact mashing temps are pretty darn important in the brewing process!

Stem thermometers are $5.99 at Target/WalMart. If you can't save up $5.99 to make better beer, you might be in the wrong hobby!!

Oh, and my pot has NEVER started to "make noise" at 190F!!

also essential to know the temp when you are cooling your wort and pitching your yeast

next time you pick up brew supplies your lhbs or online retailer will have a cheap thermometer avail

if you are steeping at too high of a temp you can start to extract tannins - if you pitch to hot you will get all sorts of unwanted esters and off flavors

:cross:

troll1.jpg

troll2.jpeg

doubt OP is a troll - he asks plenty of other beginner questions in other threads

no need to jump on him - people tend to learn better from being corrected than insulted

Wow. Look me up on FB, Look up My spouse's Montlake porter on Untapped. And Tenpin.

Then get a grip on your childish behaviors.

FB "Kassandra (Sandi) Watson" Moses Lake, WA

[email protected]

I have been "eyeing" it when I do it. Supposedly the water is approx 155 when steam starts to rise off of the water, and around 190 when the pot begins to make some noise.

Any other tips that may come in handy? I often worry the grains are steeping at too high a temp. If that were to happen, how does it affect the taste of final product?

Signed, brew n00b

Found a real answer (albeit, years late, but handy in the event anyone is in a tight spot) via What's Cooking America (.net).

High Altitude:*Water boils at less than 212°F (approximately 96°F). Each 500 foot increase in altitude causes a drop of about 1° in the boiling point.

Sea Level:*Water boils at 212°F and simmers at 190°F.

Tepid Water - 85 to 105°F. The water is comparable to the temperature of the human body.

Warm Water*- 115 to 120°F. The water is touchable but not hot.

Hot Water*- 130 to 135°F. The water is too hot to touch without injury.

Poach*- 160 to 180°F. The water is beginning to move, to shiver.

Simmer*- 185 to 200°F. There is movement, and little bubbles appear in the water.

Slow boil*- 205°F. There is more movement and noticeably larger bubbles.

Real boil*- 212°F. The water is rolling, vigorously bubbling, and steaming.

Back