Possibly infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadhouseBrews

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thanks for all of your knowledge on the subject, I love this forum!!
I brewed up my first batch 13 days ago, an Irish red ale extract kit which came out with an OG of about 1.045. I pitched a vial of WLP004 @ 75 degrees( I know, too warm. Took 2 days to bring the temp below 70), and got airlock activity in about 10 hours. The airlock was active for about 80 hours after that, then stopped. Today, at day 13, my gravity is reading 1.014-5, which is a bit higher than expected, but I know I under-pitched. It has been steady for 72 hours now. My concern is all of the stuff on top. Not sure if its just yeast rafts or bacteria, since this is my first brew. Thanks for all of your advice in advance!! I plan on drinking it either way!!!
Cheers!!

image-893371599.jpg

image-309498723.jpg

image-3088441154.jpg

Looks good to me but I've never seen an infection. Extract may not go lower than that so I would not be worried.

I have less experience than... well... almost everyone here, but that said, those pictures do not look like infected beer to me.

Looks like normal CO2 bubbles and maybe some yeastie floaties.

Congrats! Based on the picture, I think you made a fine beer. Bottle 'er up!

Looks just like my recent stout did, I asked a more experienced friend and he said it was just yeast. Bottled and it came out just fine...

That's a relief! Thank you for the advice everyone! I can't wait to get this bottled and carb'd, already prepared for the next batch!!

RoadhouseBrews said:
That's a relief! Thank you for the advice everyone! I can't wait to get this bottled and carb'd, already prepared for the next batch!!

I had the same thing on stout with wlp004. Must just be how that one does it.

Back