Aspergillus oryzae vs. Amylase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I know it will affect flavor profiles, but could one pre-infect their grain with Aspergillus oryzae (Koji) to gain efficiency? Or will the Koji interfere with the seeds natural amylase?

Furthermore, could Koji be used to complete replace six-row barley in any recipe? Or is there a reason its only used for Sake?

If Koji is exactly what I think it is, then this opens many new avenues in my zymurgy adventures.

we were just talking about this a few days ago. i don't know if I'd want to infect malt with koji kin, but koji could probably be used to convert starches of other grains. I'd guess you would not want to mash it, but use a saccharification fermentation like sake. I'm thinking of trying it out sometime - if you do, let us know.

I'm actually thinking of making a super corn cream ale, with only a small amount of malt, a lot of corn, and koji. Too daring of an experiment with out someone else interjecting

hmm you'll probably end up with something like that mexican chewed up corn brew made by a circle of old women spitting in a bucket, but hey, go for it!

Try a beer that's 50% malt and 50% raw barley infected with koji?

Back