maple syrup oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokerlund

Reaction score
I bought an oatmeal stout kit. I have a quart of pure maple syrup. can I add this without messing things up? if so, when, at flame out or in secondary? I just don't want to screw up a whole batch like I did with my honey UP A. I put too much honey in and it was more like a high alcohol mead_- beer mix. I had to dump it.

Not sure your answer, but I'm kicking off a batch of Oatmeal Stout tonight, ad would like to try with maple syrup as well. Keep me informed of the process, taste, and changes in brewing if added. Yhanks

It'll boost gravity, but I've not experience much of the maple character when I use maple syrup. For maple flavor I use Lorann oils at kegging.

I would use the full quart and add 5 minutes before flame out to kill any organisms.

3# I wanted it to ferment out to max alcohol % and leave some honey taste. it was a bad idea. 4 gallons down the drain.

It won't mess up a thing. I use honey all th time in beers. I prefer to use in secondary, as this will leave a more residual taste. It will still ferment down. As a side note, I've never used any more than two pounds of any type of sugar in five gallons.

yeah two probably would have been good, but I was all"more is better"

Maple Syrup is basically sugar too. 1at if 5 gallons should be ok?

1 quart maple syrup is 2.75 lbs. If your experience with 3 lbs honey was negative, then I'd recommend using half of the 1 quart bottle of maple syrup.

Remember also that as it will add a little of the maple flavor, it will also dry the beer out.

Used during the boil will add more woodsy flavor. Adding it into fermenting vessel will add flavor you'll recognize. That being said, grade A is a waste. Get/use grade B for more actual maple flavor. Its more intense than grade A could ever dream of being.

Golddiggie said:
Used during the boil will add more woodsy flavor. Adding it into fermenting vessel will add flavor you'll recognize. That being said, grade A is a waste. Get/use grade B for more actual maple flavor. Its more intense than grade A could ever dream of being.

+1 to this

I put the Maple Syrup in at flameout. Overall, the beer came out pretty tasty. You can't taste the Maple too much, but, then again, I don't exactly have a "refined" pallet. Comparing it to some other Stouts and it came out about right. Although, in my comparisons, I tried a Vanilla Bean Porter that I really liked!

Latest posts

Back