Where do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if it's outside, why?

Ps, thread is useless without pictures.

LOL! I brew in the garage (with the door open), because although my stand has wheels, my wife draws the line at carbon monoxide poisoning when I wheel it into the kitchen!

1017044_10201384823694522_389014611_n.jpg

I brew in the back yard, just off the porch. I do it because I don't have an attached garage or indoor space that can handle the 5 gallon batches I brew - I have a propane turkey fryer.
I do start my strike water inside, and usually keep my mash tun inside for most of the time. During then I set up the fryer, sanitize my fermenter and so forth, and then start heating my sparge water while I move the mash cooler outside.

I brew on the back patio next to my gazebo so I can stay dry if it decides to rain. (I also have a beach umbrella for my brew pot in case of rain). We use turkey fryer for the mash and a huge 20 gallon pot for the boil. (When I say huge, my 6 year old fits in the damn pot.)

The only thing that sucks big time about our layout is that I live in a townhouse, and my kitchen is on the 2nd level...and my patio is accessable only by the walk out basement. Its a PITA hauling all the filtered water from the sink down to the brew spot...and even more so when carrying the boiling water for my temp rise.

Luckily I'm young and it works for now...but I better get myself a house in the next few years with a garage or a great storage/beer shed.

I brew on the back patio next to my gazebo so I can stay dry if it decides to rain. (I also have a beach umbrella for my brew pot in case of rain). We use turkey fryer for the mash and a huge 20 gallon pot for the boil. (When I say huge, my 6 year old fits in the damn pot.)

The only thing that sucks big time about our layout is that I live in a townhouse, and my kitchen is on the 2nd level...and my patio is accessable only by the walk out basement. Its a PITA hauling all the filtered water from the sink down to the brew spot...and even more so when carrying the boiling water for my temp rise.

Luckily I'm young and it works for now...but I better get myself a house in the next few years with a garage or a great storage/beer shed.

Depending on the length of the run, an RV drinking water hose may work for you.

I brew in my garage with the door open. Why? Full boils make for a much better final product in my opinion and the burner would be a bad idea indoors. Plus, I like to be outside, even if it is cold as all heck out.

I brew in my shop, with the door open of course, on my blichman burner. Got to start on building my brew stand.

Usually in my garage, with the door open, when it's cool enough. Mainly because I have a large, fairly open yard and any wind just kills the efficiency of my burner. I use about a 1/3 less gas when I brew in my garage as opposed to my back patio. Warm summer days I really have no choice but to brew outside. I just try to build as good of a wind barrier as possible.

I usually brew on my deck..
XkqW6fd.jpg

If its raining or winter, Ill brew in the garage.

And Yes, I need to clean my kettle.

DrunkleJon said:
Depending on the length of the run, an RV drinking water hose may work for you. I brew in my garage with the door open. Why? Full boils make for a much better final product in my opinion and the burner would be a bad idea indoors. Plus, I like to be outside, even if it is cold as all heck out.

Why do you say the burner would be a bad idea indoors?

I brew in the garage. Door open in summer, mostly closed in winter. I also keep the man door open for ventalation with the garage door partialy opened/closed.

IMG_2015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Garage. All ghetto like. Neighbors think I'm lame but somehow they welcome the free beer.

Currently, I brew in my garage or in my driveway - I have a great view but the wind and the flies suck at times. When buying the house, one of the things I overlooked was making sure there was a sink in the garage - there is no sink :mad: - but the SWMBO said she wants to have one put in once we get settled (because she really likes my wine and mead). :D

Messy as we just moved in:

20Aug13_DSCF1673.jpg

20Aug13_DSCF1671.jpg

Thinking of putting a new electric brew system in the enclosed portion of my shed - my daughter is cleaning it up for her ceramics studio and would like the company, and it's 20' by 40' so there is enough room, but I would have to haul water.

20Sep13_DSCF1848.jpg

Garage or screened-in porch out back.

basement. i have the perfect situtation for ventillation and grabbed a sweet SS table and more recently a commercial SS tow bay sink with dryer on the left side. it even came with commercial style spayer and separate faucet.
i have hot/cold spigots near sink (use the cold for my IC)
pretty ideal imo. i'll even go grab some pics

I brew in the kitchen for now. I have a single tier but due to a new job and moving abruptly into an apartment I am stuck in the kitchen until I find a suitable house. The eBIAB works very adequatly for now.

ForumRunner_20131022_120917.jpg

Back deck - i'm electric so i can brew inside, but alas, the steam is one large issue that isn't easily tackled... plus i like brewing outside... cleanup is easier with a hose and a deck :)

IMG_20131004_131528_zpsf6696847.jpg

sacrifice said:
Currently, I brew in my garage or in my driveway - I have a great view but the wind and the flies suck at times. When buying the house, one of the things I overlooked was making sure there was a sink in the garage - there is no sink :mad: - but the SWMBO said she wants to have one put in once we get settled (because she really likes my wine and mead). :D Messy as we just moved in: Thinking of putting a new electric brew system in the enclosed portion of my shed - my daughter is cleaning it up for her ceramics studio and would like the company, and it's 20' by 40' so there is enough room, but I would have to haul water.
I would be careful mixing brew area with ceramic area
My family had a shop for years and I wouldn't entertain the idea at all because of the dust and odors

I brew in my de-tached garage, where the beer is always flowin' and the classic rock is non-stop!

I brew on the back patio. I usually brew at night and it is right outside the door from the kitchen and the family room where my wife usually is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. CO I can understand, but I don't see the risk of fire being any greater than with gas burners on a stove.

I have almost knocked my lit burner over when slinging a heavy pot of water that I hadnt lifted high enough into it. I am just cautious, Wouldn't want the burner in the house, I do not mind using it in the garage (door open), but I like to keep a nice clear work area around it. In my opinion t is easier to sweep something flammable over the flame of a burner than that of a stove.

On the deck out back. We have a fairly big one for an apartment, since we're on the 1st floor. I appropriate the table and chairs to facilitate my brewing and all. One day I will have a brew house...one day.

Used to brew inside when I was living in apartments, but now that I have a house, I brew on the front porch. Very much an upgrade!

I just bought a house. I used to brew in the kitchen on the coil stove but now I have a nice backyard. My plans are to just brew in the backyard. However, I do have a nice backyard shed that has electricity and ac, but no running water. My plans were to turn that into my fermenting room.

1096997_10153057959385389_379565551_o.jpg

Channel66 said:
On my back deck because the view out front isn't this.

That is awesome.

I brew in the garage with the doors wide open, and I do that whether it's 80F or 0F. And the view of the park across the street isnt too bad.

image-876314840.jpg

Pretty hi-tech. Under a tree so the pizza screen. Sheet of scrap plywood and a piece of cement board to level the pot. And of course, the handy-dandy dowel rod measuring stick for my two kettles. The green chair is where the wife orchestrates from.

brewsetup.jpg

I just bought a house. I used to brew in the kitchen on the coil stove but now I have a nice backyard. My plans are to just brew in the backyard. However, I do have a nice backyard shed that has electricity and ac, but no running water. My plans were to turn that into my fermenting room.

1096997_10153057959385389_379565551_o.jpg

That is not too difficult of a plumbing job. Nice brew shed though.

That is not too difficult of a plumbing job. Nice brew shed though.

I wouldn't know where to begin with a plumbing job like that. But yes, it's 12x22 so it will definitely be a nice place to birth some beers. I love the fact that there is electricity in it so I can setup some temp controlled chest freezers and let them sit out of the way.

That is awesome.

I brew in the garage with the doors wide open, and I do that whether it's 80F or 0F. And the view of the park across the street isnt too bad.

With trees growing out of those hills & the shape,I wonder if they're native burial mounds?

Back