Queation about purging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conebone69

Reaction score
Last night I put my keg in the fridge and set it at 30 psi for 24 hrs. Tonight I will purge tank and reset at 20 psi for a couple days.

My question is. What's the proper way to purge/turn co2 off/reset regulator pressure to 0 so I can then reset to a diff pressure.

Do I simply turn the flat head screw clockwise/counter clockwise or turn the gas off on the co2 tank knob.

I'm sure this is super easy and I'm making this way too confusing.

Any help is appreciated greatly my fellow brew masters!

Well. I don't think you should purge any co2 at all. The beer has only been on the gas for a day so it still has quite a ways to go. It takes a good 5-7 days to force carb. Sometimes I bump mine up to 20 psi and wait for the carb level to come up and then trun it down to speed things up a little. Just crank it back down to your target psi and it will be just fine.

As for the regulator, you've got it right. Just adjust the screw to change the pressure. Clockwise = more pressure and vice versa. It will take a little while for the pressure gauge to adjust because the pressure in the keg and lines will not drop until the beer absorbs more co2. Just back her off and chech the gauge once a day and make adjustments as needed. Once you start to dispense the beer, the pressure will equilibriate much faster and adjusts become easier.

If you want to purge it, Unhook the gas line from the keg and set it to your desired PSI, then burp your keg a few time and hook the gas line back up and adjust accordingly.

This is my first time kegging so I'm still trying to get this figured out. Seems as if there are millions of ways to carbonate ur keg. Lol after reading so many different ways, I'm starting to question if I'm doing this right.

There are two basic ways that have worked for me. One is to simply set it at 12 psi in my kegerator (at 40 degrees) and try it in a week. In a week, I pour a couple of ounces, and it's almost all yeast sludge. Then I dump that and pour a glass. It's usually pretty good, but carbed up better in a few more days.

If I"m in a huge, huge, huge hurry, I put it in my kegerator at 30 psi for 36 hours. Then, I purge by turning off the gas, pulling my pressure relief valve and resetting the regulator for 12 psi and putting the gas back on. I pour 2-3 ounces, again it's mostly yeast sludge so I dump that. Then I pour a glass. It's pretty good, but carbed up better in a couple more days.

I am not one who would shake up a keg to get it to carb up faster, no would I mess around more than once or twice with adjusting the regulator just because I'm in a hurry. I have room for 5 kegs, and I keep them always at 12 psi in my kegerator. So changing it is sort of a PITA for me.

I moved a keg, well carbed and without sediment, out to my cottage today. Just taking it from the kegerator at home to my cottage 12 miles away gave me foamy pours all afternoon. It takes a while for a stirred up/shaken up beer to settle down (like shaking a can of soda!) so even if you tried to quick carb it by shaking, you'd still want to want a couple of days anyway for the beer to be ready.

Latest posts

Back