Has anyone harvested Wyeast 1335?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippin37

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first beer with this yeast and would like to harvest from my carboy but it appears that the yeast has formed on the bottom layer and not the top or middle like I am used to. I tried to pour off the top layer and only leave the bottom but I don't think I was successful. Right now it is settling in a large mason jar and it looks like trub, not yeast.

Has anyone been harvesting and reusing this yeast? If so, what approach have you taken to do so successfully?

Thanks

I have reused 1335 several times, I don't remember trub being on top of the yeast, but I reuse yeast a lot an try to keep trub out of my fermenters to make harvesting easier. I do remember it being very flocculent an settling out as chunks of already flocced yeast though (think cottage cheese.

When in ever you aren't sure use it in a starter, if it grows well, it was yeast if not then it was trub. Well come to think out you probably ought to ale starter with it anyway, get always seams to work better for me.

Thanks, yeah it is very flocculent and that is what I loved about it. To me it looked like the less dense green trub was on top and more of the creamy white stuff on bottom. But once I tried to pour it all seemed to remix together too easily and I could no longer see the difference. I think I will just get a new package and then harvest from a starter so I dont need to worry about the trub. Should be a lot cleaner this way anyways.

Thanks

I made a 1L Starter with 1/4 of the yeast I harvested from my previous batch. It definitely grew and to me it looks like the yeast itself has 2 different layers. The bottom is white and is what I am used to seeing with yeast but right on top of that layer is more of a tan colored layer. This stuff gets disturbed very easily when I pick up the flask. Would this layer be the trub and the yeast on the very bottom?

IMG_20131008_132723_786_zps9645e612.jpg

Back