IIPA water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
Okay, I am going to be building my water from RO for the first time with my IIPA brew next week. I am looking for input from anyone who has done this in the past. My grist is similar to a Pliny clone.

I have calculated on beersmith the following profile.

Ca 62.5 ppm
Mg 9.8 ppm
Na 27 ppm
SO4 112.6 ppm
Cl 55.6 ppm
HCO3 70.9 ppm

I have cross checked my Ca/Mg/HCO3 levels with Palmer's Nomograph to hit my target SRM of 7.9

I was looking for a Cl:SO4 ratio of close to .5 to enhance hop profile.

I would personally shoot for a much higher CL:SO4 ratio. I have gone at high as .15 (CL 59-SO4 387, IIRC) and the IPA was amazingly hop forward and very crisp hop bitterness. I have done a few in your range and it is pretty balanced. In fact, I stopped using my .60 ratio for my Ambers a while ago (too balanced and round) and now go with something in the range of .25. Not as agressive as my IPA ratio but leaving toward the hop highlight arena. I think you would be good to do something like Cl-50, SO4 150. Get your Ca up a little as well. Somwhere in the 100 range.

Back