Attempt to alter Peat's Sake Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
I would like to make a strong Scottish ale to age for 4 months while I am gone. The base for this recipe that I would like to use is Peat's sake https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/peats-sake-smoked-porter-201544/

First I would like to make the alcohol around 8-10% as I would like to age it for at least 4 months. So this is my first attempt at any other beers than a red ale or IPA all grain. jgourd said that he would up the peat smoked malt to 15% so I did this. I also love Islay Scotch alot so I would love to make a peaty smokey malty scotch ale. I also plan to smoke some wood chips in Laphroaig 10 to add to the secondary. So I need advice on both the grain bill and also the wood chips I use to create this beer. So far I have got this far....

Batch Size: 6.00 gal

Boil Size: 8.38
Boil Time: 90 min

Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 54.90 %
4.00 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 15.69 %
2.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.107 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.027
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.60 %
70% efficiency

Ok so the advice I need is should I up the peat smoked malt and cut the smoked malt to achieve the earthy taste that I want? Also is the chocolate malt too much and should I replace it with more caramel malt, or vienna malt or just cut it out. Also should I just use oak chips soaked in Laphroaig? Any suggestions welcome. I want an over the top peatyness very over the top.

That is a lot more peat malt than I find pleasant in a beer. I've only gone as high as 3% and enjoyed it. Can I talk you down to 2 lbs? You can go much higher on the German smoked malt if you want, it tends towards campfire/meaty aromas that are nice even as 100% of the grist.

The rest of the recipe looks fine, although you might be too heavy on the chocolate malt for the style. Scottish ales usually just have a touch of roasted barley for color, but not enough to make them roasty. Most of the color comes either from caramel malt (you might go a bit darker there) or a long intense boil (you can mimic that by boiling down the first runnings to a thick syrup). That said I just brewed a "Scottish" stout over the weekend with 10 oz of roasted barley for a nice black color.

If you want some Laphroaig flavor I would just pour it in to taste, no need for the added effort of soaking wood in it. This isn't something that breweries can legally do, but it is an easy way for homebrewers to go.

P.S. From your title I thought you were making Sake aka rice wine...

Back