Brewing with Wormwood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgile02

Reaction score
Ive noticed on the midwest supplies website that they have wormwood in their adjuncts and aditives section. Does anybody know about brewing with this. Procedures, techniques, with what brews does it go with? Anybody know what the deal is?

PS Drinking Tongue Splitter from Northern Brewer right now, pretty hop hop hoppy Cheers-Jordan

I know what absinthe is I was just wondering why they would have it in the additives section in midwestsupplies if you couldnt brew with it. Does anybody know what the deal is?

It is also used as an Old Love Charm.

On St. Luke's Day Oct. 18, take marigold flowers, a sprig of marjoram, thyme, and a little Wormwood; dry them before a fire, rub them to powder; then sift it through a fine piece of lawn, and simmer it over a slow fire, adding a small quantity of virgin honey, and vinegar. Anoint yourself with this when you go to bed, saying the following lines three times, and you will dream of your partner "that is to be":
"St. Luke, St. Luke, be kind to me,
In dreams let me my true-love see."

Wild

They probably supply it for illicit distillers, just like the way they supply proof hydrometers etc. You need to have a spirit first which you then briefly boil with the wormwood to infuse the liquor with the chemicals.

Yeah I used to distill a lot, not anymore.

Wormwood is not used in brewing whatsoever afaik.

There have been some odd beers people have sold highlighting wormwood, and others having either hemp, cannabis, cannibis seeds in it as well. Also vodkas and other spirits as well. All are really just hype and BS in reality, trying to sell their products. I cant understand why Midwest sells it. But hey, to each his own.

As for absinthe, I tried the modern versions of it and in my opinion, its awful. And the sugar didnt help it at all. It was something like 75-80% alcohol, and burned like heck. But it did give you a wide eyed weird feeling for sure.

To me, if you love scotch, then you would like it.

Wormwood is a common ingredient in fortified wines. Vermouth has as much wormwood as absinthe. Of course, I didn't find this out until real absinthe did nothing for me and I did a little research.

Tony said:
As for absinthe, I tried the modern versions of it and in my opinion, its awful. And the sugar didnt help it at all. It was something like 75-80% alcohol, and burned like heck. But it did give you a wide eyed weird feeling for sure.

for the record, the absinthe ceremony usually entails using 2-5 times as much water as spirit, which you pour over the sugarcube; you don't just stir in the sugar and drink the absinthe at anywhere near full concentration.

But yes, many of the contemporary ones are total trash regardless. Try Jade if you're ever curious again :)

homebrewer_99 said:
I've had plenty absinthe when I lived in Europe.

I still can't see what the big deal is.

It tasted like crap. I wasn't even certain I got high. I finished my nights off drinking beer......... :confused:

That's where I had it too. The REAL stuff. The "green fairy" is a myth, IMHO.
The stuff is nasty bitter and hardly green. It is more of a faint piss yellowish looking drink. I just didn't get the point of it.

Unfortunately, many absinthes are basically decoctions of herbs in vodka. Distilling absinthe is tricky, so too many companies don't bother. Since very few people know what it should taste like, a lot of junk gets sold. It's real, but not very good. At it's best, you either like it or not.

Think about the late '90s when the megas were pushing their "craft" beers.

PeatReek said:
for the record, the absinthe ceremony usually entails using 2-5 times as much water as spirit, which you pour over the sugarcube; you don't just stir in the sugar and drink the absinthe at anywhere near full concentration.

But yes, many of the contemporary ones are total trash regardless. Try Jade if you're ever curious again :)

Just to let you know, I do know the complete traditional method of preparing absinthe, as well as the non traditional sugar lighting method, which tries to carmalize the sugar, but mainly just adds a burnt taste. Ive tried many of the present day brands, including Nouvelle-Orleans (Jade) and do not like any of them.

N.O. is not the traditional recipe, as it was made to replicate the old New Orleans absinthe used in history. It louches good, but before louching, it has a blue/green color, rather than the normal green coloring. Also, it is high in fennel and anise, but carries over a spicy taste.

At least N.O. didnt send me running trying to get the taste off of my tongue like the rest of the modern day brands, but did it still isnt my cup of tea.

I've got a bottle of Sebor Absinthe in my liquor cabinet. A friend and I wanted to try it because of the Thujone. Didn't do anything but get us drunk. It wansn't bad, but at nearly $100/bottle shipped from the U.K., I expected more... or at least *something*...

Mitch Hedburg did a bit once on Absinthe. He said it's supposed to make you trip, but it just made him drunk, so he had to fake-trip: "Why is the floor as low as I can go?"

Kephren said:
I've got a bottle of Sebor Absinthe in my liquor cabinet...

I have a bottle of Sebor as well. I originally bought two bottles, and opened one to try it, and ended up giving it away to my step daughter. We had previously discussed absinthe in history, and since she is a history teacher and had only read about it, I figured she woud get a kick out of trying it. The second bottle is in my cabinet for "show" only now.

And Mitch Hedburg was a funny guy. May he rest in peace.

Absinthe uses a lot of herbs and spices like anise and that's what contributes a lot of the flavor in absinthe that people don't like (I love it, but I also love scotch). My belief was that wormwood itself probably tastes like crap which is why they go to all the trouble to disguise it with anise, which is very strong. I've had several varieties of absinthe, but only the one I bought in England, which I can't remember the name of, but it had no green fairy, got me anything but drunk. It made an animal of me and I don't remember much of it. Thujone is a nervous system toxin. It basically shuts down your lower mental functions, and will eventually kill you.
My two cents:
Try absinthe once. Take it easy on it, and I don't think you want wormwood in your beer. Just one man's opinion.

I've always been interested in Absinthe, but I've come to the opinion that you just can't get it the way you used to.

Yes, I'm interested in it for the buzz, not the flavor. I've heard that it's something like NyQuil with more black-licorice (which is FN, in my opinion). Here's the problem:

I've done just about everything out there for a good buzz. I've smoked it, snorted it, eaten it, dropped it and popped it. I haven't injected anything and don't want to until I'm in hospice. I don't think Absinthe is going to impress me.

It comes down to this: I like beer. I can no longer handle smoking "it", snorting "it", eating "it", dropping "it" or popping "it". In case you didn't have the college experience I had, let me just tell you that there are a lot of fine buzz-inducing substances out there that will leave you unimpressed and broke. Then there's beer, which finds new ways to bring you happiness. Vodka and bourbon are good too, but they have a way of making a Wednesday morning SUCK.

If you're curious about anyting else, let me sum it up for you: First time is awesome, second time is good, third time isn't as good as the first two times and the 42nd time you wonder what's the point. By the 10,000th time, you'll just be bored.

I hear what you're saying Cheesefood. But you really should try Absinthe once. Once. And they do make it like they used to, but you have to put a lot of effort into finding it.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of fakes out there. On some websites (I don't want to enable anyone here) they talk about specific thujone content. The higher the better, for the buzz. It's also really cool when you mix it with water and it turns into a greenish milk looking drink. It's fun. If you have less than four drinks in one night. Don't go over that amount. Seriously.

rewster451 said:
I hear what you're saying Cheesefood. But you really should try Absinthe once. Once. And they do make it like they used to, but you have to put a lot of effort into finding it.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of fakes out there. On some websites (I don't want to enable anyone here) they talk about specific thujone content. The higher the better, for the buzz. It's also really cool when you mix it with water and it turns into a greenish milk looking drink. It's fun. If you have less than four drinks in one night. Don't go over that amount. Seriously.

Hey man, if you have a source for good Absinthe, pass it on! Like I said, I'd like to try it but I'm not about to spend $100 for liquour that tastes like poop. I have found that drinking straight NyQuil is a decent buzz as-is. If you have something stronger, PM me with a link and I'll buy it. I know many who have bought Absinthe (in Spain) but few who have found anything more than a drunk-buzz.

Guys, I'm sorry to say that after reading that site. I really, really don't want to try the stuff. This stuff is poison. The experiences that many have are just plain bad and the folks that report good experiences are freaking illegial drug users.

I like beer. I don't do illegal drugs of any kind, never have and never will.

Mad Hatter Beer is available just about everywhere and they successfully brew their beer with wormwood. Today's wormwood has none of the original 'attributes' of the old fashioned wormwood. Think hemp vs. marijuana.

Today's absinthe kits have you 'distill' using vodka. It's not the same as the original old-timey classic.

ScottT said:
Guys, I'm sorry to say that after reading that site. I really, really don't want to try the stuff. This stuff is poison. The experiences that many have are just plain bad and the folks that report good experiences are freaking illegial drug users.

I like beer. I don't do illegal drugs of any kind, never have and never will.

Alcohol is poisonous, too.

Hypothetical question: What if prohibition returned in the USA? Would you stop drinking beer?

-walker

Walker said:
Alcohol is poisonous, too.
-walker

I don't have the time or the energy to debate this with you. Don't beleive the MADD propiganda.

As to your other question, I hope I don't have to ever make that decision.

ScottT said:
I don't have the time or the energy to debate this with you. Don't beleive the MADD propiganda.

Fair enough, but I don't think propaganda makes alcohol poisonous.... the fact that it can kill you does. :)

ScottT said:
As to your other question, I hope I don't have to ever make that decision.

You and me both!

I don't want to start a debate, but I have a HUGE problem with laws that create criminals out of people who are not hurting anyone other than themselves. Victimless crime is rediculous (drug laws, motorcycle helmet laws, seatbelt laws, etc.)

Sure, certain things might not be GOOD for you, but I think I am entitled to make decisions about what I want to do with my own body. If I want to stick a needle in my arm, why does anyone care?

I just can't understand why certain plants/chemicals (tobacco/alcohol) are legal and others (pot/heroine) are not.

-walker

PS: No, I do not use heroine, nor do I advocate it's use. But if you want to use it, I think you should be allowed to.

I think you should use seat belts because that can save your life in one go.
But pot only kills you slowly, it should be allowed :p

Walker said:
Fair enough, but I don't think propaganda makes alcohol poisonous.... the fact that it can kill you does. :)

You and me both!

I don't want to start a debate, but I have a HUGE problem with laws that create criminals out of people who are not hurting anyone other than themselves. Victimless crime is rediculous (drug laws, motorcycle helmet laws, seatbelt laws, etc.)

Sure, certain things might not be GOOD for you, but I think I am entitled to make decisions about what I want to do with my own body. If I want to stick a needle in my arm, why does anyone care?

I just can't understand why certain plants/chemicals (tobacco/alcohol) are legal and others (pot/heroine) are not.

-walker

PS: No, I do not use heroine, nor do I advocate it's use. But if you want to use it, I think you should be allowed to.

Damn! I'll make time later this evening but right now consiter this. Water can kill you to if you breath it. Does that make it a poision? Eating too much fat can kill you long term, does that make it a poison? Lets see, sachrine causes cancer, does that make it a poison? I can go on and on.

None of these are the same as smoking crack or ice or shooting heroine.

Remember who's paying to the non-contributing portion of society. You and I are. More later.

Ok, I'll retract the "poisonous" comment then... just for the sake of not arguing. :)

However, I am really interested in your thoughts about what would happen if prohibition was re-instated. Since that would make alcohol an illegal drug, would you stop consuming it?

edit: I, for one, would probably not stop consuming it. That would make me a criminal. Am I a NON-CONTRIBUTING part of society? Of course I am not. But I would still be a criminal.

-walker

Walker said:
Ok, I'll retract the "poisonous" comment then... just for the sake of not arguing. :)
However, I am really interested in your thoughts about what would happen if prohibition was re-instated. Since that would make alcohol an illegal drug, would you stop consuming it?
-walker

To answer this last question, would I still drink beer if it became illegal? I would have to answer that with a maybe. I'm not someone who has an addictive nature about them. I do enjoy beer but I don't have to have it to be happy.

I brew for the same reason I cook, I fish, I hunt, I harvest... There's just something about creating something special that you can share with others.

Needless to say, I would not be happy about prohibition should it ever come around again. Would I risk brewing my own? It really depends on the cost of getting caught. Kind of like speeding. Yes, I break the law occasionally. I do simply because the law is selectively enforced and the penalty is not severe enough to prevent me from doing it.

Now, let's address this issue of current illegal drugs that you think should be legal and readily available.

First I have a question for you. Is there anyone in your family who is addicted to an illegal substance? Have you seen the devastation, the physical degrading, the loss of will, the loss of dreams, the loss conscience, the loss of morality, and the move to other criminal acts like theft and burglary, and prostitution.....?

I do and know that no one wants to or needs to ever go there. I also know from your stance that you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I do know that the drugs are readily available and that the law is only a minor deterrent to some. Still, the deterrent is there, weak as it may be.

A society of addicts would not be productive, would not compete in the world market and would fail itself, eventually ceasing to exist.

Now let’s talk about alcohol being a poison.

I'll concede that it can be classified as a toxic substance (poison) just as many useful substances we all use daily can also be classified as such, aspirin for example.

I will argue that controlled intake of these substances can be beneficial to our general physical and mental health.

http://www.brewersofeurope.org/uk/publications_doc/moderate_2002.pdf

Need I continue in order to make this point.

Actually, Saccharine is sometimes used as a poison.

First I have a question for you. Is there anyone in your family who is addicted to an illegal substance? Have you seen the devastation, the physical degrading, the loss of will, the loss of dreams, the loss conscience, the loss of morality, and the move to other criminal acts like theft and burglary, and prostitution.....?

I've had family members addicted to an illegal substance, I've also got family members addicted to legal substances. The thing is that even though the substance was illegal my family member was still addicted to it. Also, there are tons of people who are addicted to both legal and illegal substances who don't advance to other criminal acts. And many of them are contributing members of society.

I think you should use seat belts because that can save your life in one go.

Seatbelt laws are a love letter from your state legislature to the insurance companies.

A society of addicts would not be productive, would not compete in the world market and would fail itself, eventually ceasing to exist.

Just because drugs are legal doesn't mean that we'd have a society of addicts.

billybrew said:
I've had family members addicted to an illegal substance, I've also got family members addicted to legal substances. The thing is that even though the substance was illegal my family member was still addicted to it. Also, there are tons of people who are addicted to both legal and illegal substances who don't advance to other criminal acts. And many of them are contributing members of society.

Really, I suppose that they don't do drug tests for employment in Ok. What happens if they ever have an accident at work and the subsequent drug test come back positive. They won't be contributing much then. See how long without sufficient funds for them to turn to criminial activity to feed their habbit.

Self employed you say? Doing what?

billybrew said:
Just because drugs are legal doesn't mean that we'd have a society of addicts.

Hell man look around at the kids comming up in the cities now. Drugs are illegal and we dang near have a youth society that way now. Ice and Meths are all the rage and there so damn destructive. I was camping up at Chicksaw National Recreaton Area this summer and was talking with a local kid that was telling me all about how bad it is even in the smaller towns there in Oklahoma.

As I said earlier, the fact that they're illegal is at least some deturant.

Who is going to pay for the medical costs of these kids who can't get a job, don't want a job, don't care if they have a job. They're walking around hacking their lungs up because this stuff is eating them alive.

I'll tell you what, start your campaign to make drugs legal in Oklahoma, get your functional drug addict family to join you in your campaign along with how ever many other Okies will follow. Get it on the ballet and vote drugs legal. We'll get the social experiment going and see how it works out.

ScottT said:
First I have a question for you. Is there anyone in your family who is addicted to an illegal substance? Have you seen the devastation, the physical degrading, the loss of will, the loss of dreams, the loss conscience, the loss of morality...

Nope. No one in my family addicted to illegal substances. However, I have two cousins, one uncle, and one (former) best friend that are raging alcoholics. My wife's father also died of liver failure due to his alcoholism... three days before he got to see his first grandchild (my son) turn 1 year old.

So, in my personal experience, alcohol is much MUCH more destructive. But it's legal, so that makes it different somehow?

ScottT said:
, and the move to other criminal acts like theft and burglary, and prostitution.....?

Ah, well... then arrest these people for THOSE crimes (except prostitution... that's another victimless crime and is also absurd.)

-walker

ScottT said:
Who is going to pay for the medical costs of these kids who can't get a job, don't want a job, don't care if they have a job.

The same can be said for the purely lazy and alcoholics. You still have not given me anything that shows why alcohol is "ok" but other illegal substances are "bad".

You can't jump to the conclusion that someone who uses an illegal substance is an addict and a dead-beat. That's simply not the truth of it.

ScottT said:
They're walking around hacking their lungs up because this stuff is eating them alive.

and edit that for alcohoics:

"They're walking around killing their livers up because this stuff is eating them alive. "​

-walker

Walker said:
Nope. No one in my family addicted to illegal substances. However, I have two cousins, one uncle, and one (former) best friend that are raging alcoholics. My wife's father also died of liver failure due to his alcoholism... three days before he got to see his first grandchild (my son) turn 1 year old.
So, in my personal experience, alcohol is much MUCH more destructive. But it's legal, so that makes it different somehow?
Ah, well... then arrest these people for THOSE crimes (except prostitution... that's another victimless crime and is also absurd.)-walker

Dude, are you really that naive? It sounds like, that with the history of Alcoholism in your family tree, you shouldn't be drinking yourself. Especially since your consumption of alcohol is severe enough to be likened to the effects of Ice and Meths.

Back