Yeast returning in a bad way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I recently tried a bottled homebrew that has been conditioning for 2 weeks. I refrigerated it for a few hours. Both the "youngness" and the short cooling time lead me to believe that a lot of yeast was in suspension. A lot of yeast was visible on the bottom of the bottle.

The beer tasted fine, great even. The dregs were quite yeasty (nearly opaque), but I sampled a bit anyway (i.e., I drank nearly pure yeast). Didn't taste bad.

The next day, I had a bad encounter. Let's just say it involved an hour on the toilet and it wasn't pretty.

Question is: did I "poison" myself on the yeast? Is it bad to consume in large quantities?

Meh lots of B viatemens (sp) worst that will happen is you will be a little gassy might have the bubble guts

I always try to leave as much of the yeast sediment in the bottle as possible and bottle conditioned beers still give me gas.:eek: I can only imagine how bad it would be if I drank the sediment.

I haven't noticed it much since I started kegging.

Live yeast is actually pretty good for you, but as you found out it can be a diuretic when comsumed in larger quantities. No need to worry, and you now know a home remedy for being stopped up.

Back