Convert my Blonde Ale into a Blueberry Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

I currently have a Blonde Ale that's been in the primary for 11 days. If I were to throw it in a secondary with a can of Oregon Blueberry Fruit Puree and 1oz of pectic enzyme for 2 weeks, then bottle it with 2oz of Blueberry Extract, would this viably turn it into a Blueberry Ale (that would still taste really good)?

I would really love to try this if it sounds like a good idea to you veterans.

That sounds like a lot of blueberry. I would add in increments until you hit the flavor profile you're looking for. It's easy to add more blueberry flavor, but very difficult to remove it once it's there.

That sounds like a lot of blueberry. I would add in increments until you hit the flavor profile you're looking for. It's easy to add more blueberry flavor, but very difficult to remove it once it's there.

Thanks for the insight, that's exactly the information I'm looking for. What, to you, sounds like an appropriate amount of Blueberry puree and extract to mask most of the hops taste but not be overpowering? I love the smell of cherry wheat right before taking a swig...I want the same with the blueberry batch.

I also presume that my FG will increase about a percent or higher, accounting for the puree.

To be honest I haven't used the Oregon purees before, or even extracts for that matter. I've always used fresh/frozen fruit in my fruit beers.

I have discussed this exact thing with some brewers more experienced with fruit beers than myself, though, and they recommended to me to just follow the instructions on the can. However, I feel that some brewers add so much fruit flavor, even in commercial brews, that it completely dominates the beer. So, I tend to stay on the conservative side, figuring I can always add more if needed.

Your FG will definitely increase, but not that much. I think if you poke around on gotmead.com they have some information about the various amounts of fermentables in fruits, however I've only ever used them as a resource for fresh fruit. Whether they have information about the fermentables in those Oregon purees is another story.

Back