Is cut aluminum trashcan around propane burner safe for windscreen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I am using a Bayou Classic Propane burner and I was having huge wind problems for my first few brews. I recently cut the bottom off of an aluminum garbage can for a windscreen around it. I also cut a 6 inch piece out of the side all the way from top to bottom for the hose and what not to fit through. It works extremely well, but is there any safety concerns there? I am mainly concerned about propane gasses getting trapped in the bottom under the pot and burner and basically causing explosive fumes. I have used this about 4 or 5 times with no issues, but I am just checking :mug:

p.s. I use this every time i brew even if it isn't windy, but it is completely out in the open that I use this.

Acually thats a great idea!!!! I don't think you should have any issues as long as the burner is going. Wind or even a light breeze would quickly dissipate any propane that would collect if the burner was left on without being lit. Since propane is heavier than air, you could lift the can a few inches before you light it just to be safe. I would just make sure the hose from the tank isn't rubbing any sharp edges.

Back