Pizza crust!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgremark

Reaction score
Not beer but the left overs from my all grain batches! My wife started making bread a while back and now she does pizza crust and tell you what it is great! I like mine thin and crunchy so it really works out great.

Anyone else do this?

I have ate at a brewria that does this and I loved the Pizza crust.

Exactly how is she utilizing the spent grain?

Any tips on a recipe would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance.

-Brett

She doesn't seperate anything she uses huls and all! That's the funny thing I would have thought I would get hulls in my teeth but no so I think it has to do with the temp that pizza is cooked at.
As for recipe I'm not sure and she is at work now but I will post it when she gets home. I don't think she does anything special. I do know she does have to flour the pan alot so it doesn't stick.
She makes cookies also!

I know they are talking about pizza dough, but me and the wife use a food processor when making bread and it pretty much turns the grain into a mush so you don't get the hulls in your teeth

We have a kitchen aide is that what you use?????

I love whole grains and thin pizza crust. If someone has a minute to post their technique, I'd appreciate it. I just got a pizza stone and a peel for my smoker.

Alright talked to the wife and this is the recipe she used but she said you can use any recipe just adjust on wheat flour etc.

1/4 cup lukewarm water (most recipes say add like a cup but the grains are alreeady moist so you do not need that much water)
1 tsp of salt
1 1/4 oz yeast packet
2+ cups of all purpose flour (may need more if you grain is really wet, I leave mine in the cooler till I am done brewing and they are usually just moist and not dripping water)
2 cups of my left over grains
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
After mixing let sit covered for at least 45 minutes so the yeast can do it's job.
Flour pan before you put the dough in the pan. Make as thin or thick as you like.

I like mine thin and crunchy. add what ever toppings you like and put her in the oven @ 450 for 30+ minutes.

Enjoy!!!!!!

350? I bake my pizza at 550, and I wish my oven went hotter.

You are probably correct. I have not baked a pizza on the stone yet. I am going to use my smoker and passedpawn had warned me about breaking the stone over coals. Since I'm using a smoker, it will not be right on top of the coals and I can definitely get it above 350.

I wonder if we can get admin to create a section in the recipe database for things like pizza crust and bread.

My wife makes tortillas and other types of Mexican breads also! Adds a little cinnomin and they are great with coffee!

Everytime I brew we have pizza for dinner. I cook my pizza on my Big Steel Keg at 500-600* and use a pizza stone every time. I am on the same pizza stone since 2006 and pitch black at this point from all the wood fired cooking.

The thing is you have to put the stone in as the grill is heating up not after it is heated.

Another tip, instead of using flour to keep the dough from sticking use corn meal. It works a lot better at letting you slip the peel under the pie and it adds a neat little flavor bonus.

EDIT: IF you want some pics and tips on cooking pizza on a grill go over to http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/ and look around.

Everytime I brew we have pizza for dinner. I cook my pizza on my Big Steel Keg at 500-600* and use a pizza stone every time. I am on the same pizza stone since 2006 and pitch black at this point from all the wood fired cooking.

The thing is you have to put the stone in as the grill is heating up not after it is heated.

Another tip, instead of using flour to keep the dough from sticking use corn meal. It works a lot better at letting you slip the peel under the pie and it adds a neat little flavor bonus.

This is exactly what I do in the summer. I crank all burners on my grill to max, with the stone in place. Get it as hot as it can get. make the pizza on the peel with corn meal. Open, slide the pizza off, and close as quickly as possible. It makes a great pizza and doesn't heat up the house.... until winter when I want the heat.

I spent ages on dough. I would try the above recipe without the sugar. I use bread flour, salt, water, and yeast. Oil helps with relaxing the dough, but time also does the same. If it doesn't pass the window pane test, it's not ready to stretch. I'm definitely going to try including spent grain though. Never thought of using it in pizza.

EDIT: IF you want some pics and tips on cooking pizza on a grill go over to Big Steel Keg Forum - Index and look around.

yeah, i cook pizzas frequently on my bubba keg, except i usually let it get to 750 or so....mmmm tasty

350? I bake my pizza at 550, and I wish my oven went hotter.

This is key. 350 is COLD as far as pizza goes.

PS - If you have an electric oven, try cooking the pizza when the oven is in self cleaning mode. Often that is >500 degrees.

How long for >500?

That depends on a lot of factors especially crust thickness or if you have a preheated stone. I would start at 5 minutes and see how that does ya.

The problem is every time you open up the grill you let out all of the heat which is cooking the top so will will end up with different cooking characteristics. Say 5 minutes isn't enough so you let it cook 3 more minutes and it's perfect. Well next time you don't cook it 8 minutes or it will be overdone so try 6 minutes next time.

This thread is seriously lacking PICTURES!!! Here are some thin & crispy pics. I make the dough in a food processor (very tough crumbly). I think this is after I shattered the stone over the coals, so cooking on perforated pizza cutter.

[edit] sorry, not hijaaking this very interesting thread, just wanted to insert some pics to get the salivary glands going. I'll try the OP's recipe and get some pics of the barley crust.

IMG_03101.JPG
IMG_03185.JPG
IMG_03236.JPG

IMG_03163.JPG

passedpawn said:
This thread is seriously lacking PICTURES!!!

I agree. Here's one of my BBQ chicken pies. I went a little heavy handed on the cheese , but awesome otherwise.

image-2523427262.jpg

I guess I have to get a stone!!!!!

Sure is great sharing all this info!

I should have taken a pic of my pizza last night!

They should start a section on uses for the used grain!

Running spent grains through food processor or blender will break up hulls. I tried this on my first attempt at bread, seemed to work, but I don't think I let my bread rise long enough.

My wife and I use our spent grain for dog treats and pizza dough. Recipe for both is in the mar/apr zymergy I think! Yum!!!

Thin, crispy -- and hold the pepperoni. Sure, it tastes good, but if you're going through the trouble to make pizza at home over a high flame, skip the red buttons and go for some quality pork (sausage, prosciutto, good ham etc). My favorite pizza is probably tomato, garlic and fresh basil but I love some thick cut bacon (pre-fried), blu cheese and dates too...

Homemade pizza is the shiz. 350 is about half as hot as you want the cooking chamber...

Here's a shot from a batch earlier this year -- sundried tomato with basil from the garden.

DSC09741.jpg

I'm less into shredded cheese these days. I prefer cutting the cheese into thin-ish slabs and spreading them across the pie (with sauce between the cheese slabs). The cheese spreads a bit, melts and blisters, and the sauce between the cheese slices gets a chance to char a bit. It's great. Any regular pizza makers should try it -- I'm sure you'll prefer it over the shredded cheese soup we're all taught to utilize.

Alright talked to the wife and this is the recipe she used but she said you can use any recipe just adjust on wheat flour etc.

1/4 cup lukewarm water (most recipes say add like a cup but the grains are alreeady moist so you do not need that much water)
1 tsp of salt
1 1/4 oz yeast packet
2+ cups of all purpose flour (may need more if you grain is really wet, I leave mine in the cooler till I am done brewing and they are usually just moist and not dripping water)
2 cups of my left over grains
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
After mixing let sit covered for at least 45 minutes so the yeast can do it's job.
Flour pan before you put the dough in the pan. Make as thin or thick as you like.

I like mine thin and crunchy. add what ever toppings you like and put her in the oven @ 450 for 30+ minutes.

Enjoy!!!!!!

Do you dry the grains first?

Do you dry the grains first?

No just let them sit in the cooler till I'm done brewing and scoop off the top 3/4's, The grains are moist but not dripping. then I bag and put in frig or freezer till needed.

I got into bread baking as a way to reuse some of the spent grains - I'll usually freeze a gallon ziploc bag worth of grains from each batch. They're great in pizza dough, but also any other type of bread - you can toss a cup or so into any recipe (though you may need to adjust water/flour amounts based on how wet the grains are). I don't bother processing the grains any more than they already are, and don't really have any issue with the hulls.

Back