First Recipe, Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowOG

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post and first recipe. Hoping to make a light hoppy IPA but wanted some feedback before I commit.

Target OG: 1.064
Target FG: 1.017
IBU: 70.8

Fermentables

4 lbs Light LME in boil
4 lbs Light LME at flameout
1 lbs Crystal Malt 20L

Hops

0.5 oz Galena at 60min
0.5 oz Simcoe at 60min
0.5 oz Galena at 30min
0.5 oz Simcoe at 30min
1 oz Cascade at 5min

Yeast

WLP005 - British Ale

I know this is a little light and hoppy, but I'm planning to try harvesting yeast for the first time from an old batch and thought reusing the WLP005 on this one would bring out some malt and balance it more.

Thoughts?

Hey everyone, first post and first recipe. Hoping to make a light hoppy IPA but wanted some feedback before I commit.

Target OG: 1.064
Target FG: 1.017
IBU: 70.8

Fermentables

4 lbs Light LME in boil
4 lbs Light LME at flameout
1 lbs Crystal Malt 20L

Hops

Yeast

WLP005 - British Ale

I know this is a little light and hoppy, but I'm planning to try harvesting yeast for the first time from an old batch and thought reusing the WLP005 on this one would bring out some malt and balance it more.

Thoughts?

Actually, it's not hoppy at all! It'll be bitter, since you only have one addition of hops as a aroma hop, and you have no flavor hops. Any hops at 30 minutes are bittering hops. You should move the hops to a good hoppy hop schedule, and use the galena (which doesn't have a great flavor) for bittering, like this:

0.75 oz Galena at 60min
0.5 oz Simcoe at 15min
1 oz Cascade at 5 min
0.5 oz Simcoe at 0 min

Thanks for the suggestion Yooper! I'm not dedicated to using the Galena, so any suggestions for something more fitting would be awesome.

as an alternative, i'd consider using 1/2 of the cascade at 5, and dry-hop with the other half using yooper's suggestion. that should give you a good apa

Back