Recommended serving temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christafer11

Reaction score
I just got a book 200 clone Brews, inside I have noticed no beer has a recommended serving temp lower than 40F. Most are in the 50's range I have never done this with my brew I have my keeger set at 34f and like them cold cold cold. So my question is why are they recommending such high temps for example dfs 60min ipa recommends 50f. I have had this beer sever times and usually at much colder temps and in a chilled glass.

warmer temps allow for more complexities of flavor to come through. think about good scotch...it is insulting to drink a good single malt on the rocks because the cold masks flavor...

all that said...I keep my keezer set at 37 degrees as I like my beers colder too, and least for the first half of the pint. pay attention to the ways the flavors change and become more pronounced as a beer warms.

i think most americans expect ice cold beer because that's the only way the BMC is remotely palatable is when it is so cold you can't taste how bad it is.

Well the "beer snob" answer would be that the serving temp should be by style. English ales at 55 degrees, American ales at 50....lagers are the only styles to be served cold and are the only styles that can have a frosted mug.

But, hey, it's your beer...so serve it any temperature that you like! I personally do like my ales to be at a higher temp then what the norm is for standard American "ice cold" palates like

I turned down my keezer from 44 to 40 a couple of weeks ago....don't like it. I will going back up as soon as I remember to reset it.

I hated that I had to wait 20 minutes for my beers to taste their best... the glass was empty by then.

One problem I have with my keezer is its a 60" wide "true brand" that came from a resturant. I have it on the lowest setting and us usually between 34-36depending how much is in it exct. But with that said I still like my beer COLD maybe Ill let one sit for 20min and then pour one and see.

One problem I have with my keezer is its a 60" wide "true brand" that came from a resturant. I have it on the lowest setting and us usually between 34-36depending how much is in it exct. But with that said I still like my beer COLD maybe Ill let one sit for 20min and then pour one and see.

Maybe you should invest in a temperature controller. My kegerator's temp controller is set to keep it around 45.

Latest posts

Back