What part of the lemon to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebrewPaleAle

Reaction score
I'm adding lemon flavor to a beer in the secondary. I want to add some tart lemony goodness. Now what part of the lemons should I use? Carefully peel the zest and throw it in there. . . or chop up about 9 lemons and toss them in? Or even peel them completely and chunk the skinned fruit in? Ideas? Suggestions?

I use every part of the lemmon except the "white stuff" in my summer ale. Five minutes boil.
Actually in this beer I use 1 lemmon and 3 oranges.

it's already in the primary. I am just trying to figure out what part I should put in the secondary. I was thinking that putting three or four lemons without the "white stuff" so zest and all in a grain bag and hope for the best. Any other suggestions since putting in the boil is a no go. Also how many should I use?

I would boil some zest in a small amount of water for 5 minutes or so and add that to the secondary. Add it slowly and taste until you get your desired level of lemon flavor.

Edit: I've never used lemon zest but 2 oz should probably be enough, just remember to add it slowly.

If you are just adding lemon at secondary, I would probably try real lemon juice.

I use the whole lemon when making my lemon ale. Zest for last 15 minutes of the boil and then quarter the remainder of the lemons for the primary.

Use lemon zest. Boil it for 5 min as stated above. To zest it, either use a zester, or something like a cheese grater, and just rub the lemon on it to take the yellow part of the peel off. Use the freshest lemons you can, and for a nice hint, use about 1 lemon per 2 gallons. (for light summery beers. <1.035 SG) Again stronger the beer the more lemon you need.

If you are just adding lemon at secondary, I would probably try real lemon juice.

I use the whole lemon when making my lemon ale. Zest for last 15 minutes of the boil and then quarter the remainder of the lemons for the primary.

How many lemons do you quarter and put in the primary?

Latest posts

Back