close to FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamoman

Reaction score
i brewed 2 beers a few weeks ago, a Kolsch with a FG of 1.010-1.013 and a smoked porter with a FG of 1.014-1.017. its been in the secondary for 7 days now and the FG for both are off by .002.....the kolsch is at 1.008 and the smoked porter is at 1.012....will it get any better sitting longer? its been 2.5 weeks since i brewed it. is that much off a problem? any ideas or suggestions are appreciated

That is not too far off. Very respectable and not a problem.

Some people leave their beer in primary for a month but 2.5 weeks may be plenty.

Not sure what u mean by better. They are under the sg you where looking for they will not gain any more sg points. Get them in the bottles or the keg carb them up kick back and enjoy.

My beers usually go 2 weeks primary, 6+ weeks secondary.

A longer secondary makes sure the beer is finished, and helps make it clearer in the bottle.

I prefer lower FGs. I generally aim for below 1.010 for almost every beer.

Sounds like you are good.

The beer should already be at FG before going to secondary!

Moving a beer before FG is confirmed risks a stalled/stuck fermentation and if off flavors or diacytle is present it will not clean up properly

Never move a beer off the yeast prior to confirmed FG!

Back