what size mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siler

Reaction score
Im just weening off of extract brewing and I want to make a mash tun from a cooler. I dont want to have to step up the size in 6 months, so room to grow would be nice. nothing to crazy, but something that is good for any kind of mash. also any tips for a beginner would be awesome

I made mine out of a 48 quart igloo ice cube. I made a cpvc manifold for it.
Works great for five gallon and will hold 25# of grain!

I'm very happy with a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. Not too fancy, not too expensive, versatile. I did just opt to buy a stainless false bottom for it, but there are MANY more options.

Do your research on this site by searching your butt off - there is a vast amount of knowledge here.

Happy brewing!

Figure out what you want to brew and go from there...it's really based on grain bill. For capacity figure 1.5qts/lb of grain and another .08 X grain weight for the "volume of water" that the grain represents.

So for a 15lb grain bill you would need (1.5 X 15)/4 = 5.6 gallons plus .08 X 15 = 1.3 gallons of "grain space" so your MLT would have to be at least 5.6+1.3=6.9 gallon capacity.

EDIT: A 20lb grain bill is a reasonable limit to 10 gallon coolers...guys have gone more and you can thicken the mash ratio to go higher...my calculations are conservative.

Figure out what you want to brew and go from there...it's really based on grain bill. For capacity figure 1.5qts/lb of grain and another .08 X grain weight for the "volume of water" that the grain represents.

So for a 15lb grain bill you would need (1.5 X 15)/4 = 5.6 gallons plus .08 X 15 = 1.3 gallons of "grain space" so your MLT would have to be at least 5.6+1.3=6.9 gallon capacity.

EDIT: A 20lb grain bill is a reasonable limit to 10 gallon coolers...guys have gone more and you can thicken the mash ratio to go higher...my calculations are conservative.

This is a good starting point for sizing.

I want to give on piece of advice. Buy bigger than initially calculated. I bought a decent cooler when I started. Then I went to an all electric pump driven rig, with the dead space in the pipes a little bit of wort is lost, add more grains. Then I started doing bigger beers, add more grains. Then I had a phase where i experimented with no sparge, add more grains. . . you get the picture.

I have used just about every container that I had handy. I started with a 48 qt rectangular igloo with a pvc manifold then I graduated to a 150 qt marine cooler with a pvc manifold. I now use a 30 gallon aluminum pot in a herms system.

I made mine out of a 48 quart igloo ice cube. I made a cpvc manifold for it.
Works great for five gallon and will hold 25# of grain!

Same here. You can do just about anything for five gallons and ten gallons of most recipes. The Ice Cube (at least the one I have) has an indentation in the middle of the front at the bottom, which is perfect for drilling an installing a spigot.

Back