Pitch Brett into sealed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to do my first brew with Brett. I want to do a Belgian golden strong that I'd ferment all the way out with trappist high gravity first, then pitch brett brux. In the interest of keeping brett contained, and also for transport purposes (I'll be moving soon), can I rack to a keg after primary is complete, pitch the brett, and seal the keg? I'm not sure how much c02/pressure it will generate, or if this will otherwise adversely affect the brett. Any experience with this would be great.

You can only get 'classic' brett flavor (ie Orval) from secondary fermentation under pressure, so a keg is a great way to go, even if you plan on bottling. You can expect 1 vol of CO2 from every .002 drop in gravity. 1.000 is a reasonable assumption for FG, but it could be lower or higher depending on grist, mash temp, etc. Good thing about trying this out in a keg is that you can always vent pressure if need be. I don't keg, but bottle with brett some. A friend just did a white IPA with brett in a keg and he wished he'd have bottled it after I stopped by. Dangerous having something that good on tap!

TNGabe said:
You can only get 'classic' brett flavor (ie Orval) from secondary fermentation under pressure, so a keg is a great way to go, even if you plan on bottling. You can expect 1 vol of CO2 from every .002 drop in gravity. 1.000 is a reasonable assumption for FG, but it could be lower or higher depending on grist, mash temp, etc. Good thing about trying this out in a keg is that you can always vent pressure if need be. I don't keg, but bottle with brett some. A friend just did a white IPA with brett in a keg and he wished he'd have bottled it after I stopped by. Dangerous having something that good on tap!

So is it better to use a keg instead of a carboy for secondary fermentation with Brett? I was considering transferring mine to a secondary and adding cherry purée and a Brett yeast. Is a keg the better way to go?

Back