Cleaning and hop questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richfei

Reaction score
Hi
Looking to do my first 5 gallon extract
Previously was using a Mr Beer setup

A few cleaning and hop related questions
1) Picked up some PBW and diluted in hot water to soak out a brew kettle which had some staining at the bottom. Can I clean everything with PBW i.e my tubing, spigot, measuring jug, funnel, wire brushes, thermometer

2) Does PBW require active rubbing and cleaning or can I just leave it to soak ?

3) I've left the bucket overnight of PBW solution, can I reuse it in another bucket or is the effectiveness lost ?

4) Hot water is preferred for PBW, so when it cools, should I top it off again with hot water

5) I want to use Starsan to sanitize my pot and all my equipment afterwards. I'll dump out the PBW water and apply Starsan, but similar question, does Starsan require some activity or can I just leave it to soak ? Still effective overnight or is this really too long ?

Hop questions
1) Looking to make a Bavarian Hefeweizen extract. Bought 6 lb Bavarian DME with 1oz Northern Brewer hops and some Liquid hef yeast. Recipe calls for 0.5 oz. I was told to boil for an hour and 15 min into the boil add the hops and I can just leave the DME until 5 min at the end. Does that mean that DME doesn't really benefit from a boil and as long as I avoid clumping I'm good

2) Does the hop need to be in a hop bag ? Does it need to be strained and removed before pouring into the fermenting bucket or should I leave it for the duration of the fermenting period, as effect of the hops is pretty much done ?
I'm making a hef so I'm not sure

Secondary fermentation and bottling questions
1) I was going to avoid a second fermentation for the Hef and just bottle it. However do I have to siphon to another bottling bucket i.e I cannot just add the sugar solution to the main fermenter ?

2) With Mr Beer, after fermentation I can add sugar directly to the bottle and use the spigot to pour in the wort . Should I avoid that practice i.e it is best to have a bottling bucket with diluted sugar and siphon from there ?

3) If I have a spigot on the bottling bucket should I really attach tubing and use a bottling wand as opposed to just turning on the spigot directly to be bottle or won't it make any difference ?

thanks

Just clean the brew pot, it shouldn't need star san since you'll be boiling water in it.

But you're on your way to good brewing practices, clean thoroughly, then sanitize. :mug:

Rick

You can just soak stuff in PBW to clean it. At least give it overnight to loosen crud before using a soft cloth or soft sponge to rub it off. I also use PBW cold. It works fine. I've stored it in buckets with a lid. But mainly in 1 gallon Sunny-D jug. Dito with starsan. Starsan can be used as long as the PH is 3 or lower. Just let it have 30 seconds or so contact time & you're good. The BK will see boiling water,so no need to sanitize it. Just keep it clean.
As for the hefe,a partial boil of 2.5-3 gallons is fine. Add about 2lbs of the DME & add the bittering addition at 60 minutes. Flavor additions at 15-20 minutes before the end of the boil. Aroma hop additions 5 minutes or less left in the boil. I use hop sacks in the boil & dry hop,some don't. I think the sacks keep things cleaner.
Secondarys generally aren't needed unless oaking or adding fruit or something. But you can't bulk prime in the primary or secondary fermenter. You'll need a bottling bucket with a spigot for that. Use tubing to atach a bottling wand to the spigot on the bottling bucket. Otherwise,you'll oxugenate the beer & get wet cardboard flavor.

When I transfer out of a fermenation carboy, I fill with PBW solution/hot water and let it sit - for days. Then on brew day I empty the carboy into a large bucket, and use the PBW solution from the carboy to clean equipment used on brew day, and it works fine... Still very effective. Seems to work...

Back