2nd batch in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tar1010

Reaction score
Well, my second batch is now in the fermenter. First batch was BB's IPA. Came out pretty tastey, VERY hoppy. I learned a few things with that batch, and my paranoia is being held back this time. I did the BB Baltic Porter, and damn did that wort taste good to start! Anybody else brew the BB Baltic Porter before? Any feedback is welcomed. As well as anything done in the secondary to give it a bit of a different "exotic" flavor. I've heard of peanut butter porter and hazelnut porter. I'd like to give it a little kick of something, just not sure what. Bottoms up!:rockin:

I love oak...been smoking ribs w oak for years. But how would I go about "oaking" (yes as a verb) my batch of porter? I can only imagine oak flavor in beer would be great. Thanks for the advice:rockin:

Use the "search" at the top of the forum; the amount of oak and taste will vary, depending on how and when you use it. Welcome to HBT & Cheers:D

i use oak spirals for oaking beer. 1 spiral for a 5 gal batch is plenty, for smaller batches, i cut them to size. i usually use the medium toast french oak, to give them a bourbon flavor, i'll soak them in a little bit of bourbon for a few days, but they're fine without the bourbon. i hang them into the beer in the carboy with fishing line tied to the neck of the carboy (the bourbon just gets poured in if i'm using it). i've found that a week or so is plenty of contact time, so i oak in secondary for the last week before packaging. do it to taste the first couple times you use oak, and remember the oak character will come on pretty quickly and strong, a week should be enough time for most beers, IME.

Back