High ferm temp yields apricot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorTodd

Reaction score
My friend and I got together to brew an IPA three weeks ago. This brew stayed at his place, and to my dismay, I found out his AC is a little weak, and the ambient temps ended up being in the 75F range during fermentation. Who knows what ferm temps actually were, but I'm guessing they at least touched 80F (fermented with Safale US-05). On bottling day, I opened the bad boy up, and immediately was met with an aroma akin to freshly sliced apricot. My buddy was easily able to pick it up as well. The flavor was much the same. Not bad all in all, but not what we were shooting for.

It's swamp cooler or bust next time, and maybe we'll brew at my place instead...

Was there Amarillo in there? I get lots of cool stonefruit/apricot stuff from Amarillo hops.

I like a water bath in a cooler (orange 10 gal round beverage, in my case) for clamping down on temp deltas.

No, it was Willamette and Northern Brewer. Full recipe:

10# pale LME
.75# Crystal 40L (steeped)
.75# Victory (steeped)
1.5 oz Willamette x 60 min
.5oz Northern Brewer x 60 min
1 oz Willamette x 15 min
1 oz Willamette x 1 min
.5 oz Willamette DH @ 7 days
2 packets US-05 dry yeast.

Well, at least the esters aren't that unpleasant! Apricot is better than bananas (the esters I've had when fermentation temperatures creeped too high), in my opinion!

Back