Campden Tablet importance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atek

Reaction score
Hi guys, I feel kind of stupid asking this but, I just got a blueberry wine with the following recipe:
"Ammended Recipe for 1gal
3 qts Blueberries
4 cups sugar
¾ Tsp Yeast nutrient
1 campden tablet
1 Packet Red Star Premier Cuvee Active Dry Wine Yeast

Mash blue berrys in wine press or pan. Boil berries in .5 gallon of water for 2-6 minutes. Mix sugar into blueberry liquid. Take small sample off pot and let cool. Add yeast nutrient and yeast. Let the yeast slowly work into the solution. when main batch is down to around 90-80 degrees F add yeast mixture. Crush camden tablet and add to mixture. Put wine in Primary fermenter and stir (or shake) twice daily. Ferment for 14 days in primary then transfer to the secondary. Ferment another 7 days then siphon the wine into bottles and rack. If wine is not clear re-rack wine in 10-15 days."

Now I completely spaced the campden tablet, that being said I did boil the must (high rolling boil) for 9 minutes straight. What are the odds of this still turning out alright?

It will prob be fine but you should drink it quicker than you normally would. The tablets help with infections but more importantly with oxidation of your wine (makes it go bad over time).

Interesting.... I thought it was mainly for killing the wild yeasts... awesome, thanks a bunch! This forum is really amazing :)

The campden tablets mentioned was supposed to stun the wild yeast which is what you did by boiling anyhow so dont worry about that but when its done fermenting add 1 tablet per gallon and sorbate if you plan on sweetening. The sulfite (campden) will protect your wine from oxidation and also keep any present bacteria in check and there is almost always somekind of bacteria present. Make sure to keep the wine topped up to within 2" of the bung after fermentation is done.

Ok, so I've just racked my wine for secondary fermentation, I took a little taste at the time and I'm not too impressed yet, its rather bitter. The other issue is my 1 gallon turned into 1/2 gallon after filtering. Now I realize I probably screwed up and left too many blueberries from the mash in the primary fermentation, I ended up not being able to add any water to top off the carboy after putting the mash in. My guess is I wasn't supposed to leave the blueberries in the mash?

Anything I can do to make this wine any better at this point, add water and more suger? Or do I just wait and see at this point?

I do like a pretty dry wine, this is just really strong on the tannins.

RackingP15-30-10.jpg

RackingP25-30-10.jpg

Well it turned out not too bad, it needs some time to age... It is not sweet in the least, but has a higher alcohol content than any normal wine. Good flavor, a little green but age should take care of that. Wish I'd had an oak barrel to rack this in, that would have added more volume to the flavor. :)

Latest posts

Back