My Future Goal / General Question (recipe related)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffocatefaster

Reaction score
My general goal is to make my own beer recipe one day, Is this a farfetched goal or can this be done.

I guess what im asking is, If beer is only four or so ingredients, Is it crazy for a guy like me to dream of my own unique recipe or have basically all types and formats of beer been done already?:)

I've pretty much done that and at the time I had only done about 7 real batches (ie not kit and kilo type thing).

I tasted a beer I liked (Epic Pale Ale - an American PA brewed in New Zealand) and thought it was great so tried to roughly clone it from the info I could get from the website, colour of the beer, what should be in there from style etc. Ended up with (what I thought) was a great beer but could do with some improvement. It came out similar to the original but was different. I've got plans for it for the next time around to make it more to my liking.

Remember homebrewing is about making beer YOU like, not what suits the masses.

It's like cooking, a lot of people make the same meal but it's your recipe and little touches that makes it your own.

Why do you need to do something never done before by anyone?
Why not be happy outdoing yourself rather than others?

All of your beers will be unique to you at least.

thats not my goal, that might be yours.

I like doing new and crazy stuff, thats what got me into this.

a new recipe, somthing that friends can taste and say wow... id pay for this.

thats the goal for me.

The first beer I ever made was an original recipe. I think I've only followed 2 recipes in my 15+ batches of beer.

Have you read www.howtobrew.com? They have a whole chapter on creating your own recipes. It's a great read and it's free.

And what you need to understand is that every beer is unique. Every year, Sam Adams holds a longshot competition for homebrewers where they promise to brew the best beers and sell them in stores in a special 6 pack. Guess what. One of the winners this year was a CLONE of another popular beer.

Did it taste exactly the same? Of course not. Because it's not about throwing ingredients together, it's about your process. If you and I both started with the same planks of wood, same nails, and same glue, does that mean we would build the same bookshelf? Of course not! Recipes, like parts lists, are just a tiny piece of what you do as a brewer. Most beer recipes, actually, are pretty much the same. So can you vary a recipe a little bit and make it unique? Well, yeah. It's as easy as making a bookshelf a little lower. It doesn't even require any thought really.

Take 6 pounds of malt extract (whatever brand you like), add 2 ounces of hops (whatever type you like), steep a pound or two of grains that you think sound tasty, then add whatever yeast you like. Viola! You have your very own recipe. It truly is that simple and what's more it will probably be the best beer you've ever tasted. And it gets better from there.

Incidentally, I saw in another thread that you are unsatisfied with the advice you've been given at this forum. It seems to me you aren't asking the right questions. Can you create your own recipe? Sure you can. Most of us do it every time we brew. I mean, it's just a weird question to ask. Like a kid on a bicycle asking older kids if he'll ever be skilled enough to pop a wheelie. Well, what do you expect the older kids to do? Lie and say it's very hard to do? Or lie and say that of course you will be able to? Neither is true. For all we know your heart just isn't into it and you don't care to pop a wheelie or create a recipe. To each their own. I mean, it's just such a basic thing that it's sort of a weird question. I think most folks here just aren't sure how to answer it.

Read the free book at www.howtobrew.com

Sir Humpsalot said:
Incidentally, I saw in another thread that you are unsatisfied with the advice you've been given at this forum. It seems to me you aren't asking the right questions. Can you create your own recipe? Sure you can. Most of us do it every time we brew. I mean, it's just a weird question to ask. Like a kid on a bicycle asking older kids if he'll ever be skilled enough to pop a wheelie. Well, what do you expect the older kids to do? Lie and say it's very hard to do? Or lie and say that of course you will be able to? Neither is true. For all we know your heart just isn't into it and you don't care to pop a wheelie or create a recipe. To each their own. I mean, it's just such a basic thing that it's sort of a weird question. I think most folks here just aren't sure how to answer it.
I agree, I think that pretty much captured how I view a lot of your posts so far. I can understand your frustration with not getting clear, concise, direct answers to some of your questions, but some of them just don't make that much sense, so I think you need to keep in mind OUR frustration at trying to figure them out.

It is unlikely that you will develop a new style, beer has been around a long time. The only new style I see emerging at this time is the Cascadian Dark Ale. Basically, a dry porter with a strong hop nose.

However, most homebrewers have a recipe or two they call their own. Something they have tweaked to suit their unique tastes. This is certainly within your reach, but learn to brew consistently first.

suffocatefaster said:
Is it crazy for a guy like me to dream of my own unique recipe or have basically all types and formats of beer been done already?:)

In short, no! That's what's great about homebrewing. You and I will have the exact same recipe and it will turn out different...at least a bit...probably.

z987k said:
In short, no! That's what's great about homebrewing. You and I will have the exact same recipe and it will turn out different...at least a bit...probably.

This is the answer I was looking for. Somebody finally answered my question.

suffocatefaster said:
This is the answer I was looking for. Somebody finally answered my question.
party-smiley-029.gif

Suffocatefaster said:
This is the answer I was looking for.

With all due respect, it's rude and pointless to ask questions with the intent to get a specific answer.

Several people posted here "No, you'll never do something that hasn't been done before". Considering that beer has existed longer than just about any beverage on the planet (except breast milk and water), been brewed in every nation, by many cultures. There's just SO many variations you can do before it stops being beer. Hell, by German law is stops being "bier" when you add something that's not water, grain, hops or yeast. You can get as sarcastic as you'd like (Dog Crap Beer!) and I'll bet somewhere on the planet, someone brewed it.

That said, there's only so many colours of paint but we've not run out of art yet. Brewing is very much an art. What you, and all brewers, can do is find out what you like, or use the procedures you'e comfortable with. Over time you begin to develop a style (not beer style, but "signature') that becomes yours specifically...Perhaps you add some lesser-used hop variety or toss in a little bit more <insert grain>... Perhaps you ferment hot for some flavour profile or lager everything, it's those variations that make brews "different" not if that specific recipe has been brewed before.

rdwj said:
I don't know why, but I'm getting the <21 vibe
Already covered in other threads -- he is under 21, but of legal age in Canada, his place of residence.

suffocatefaster said:
Somebody finally answered my question.
Do you actually read all of our replies? That's not very considerate towards the other people (denimglen, Sir Humpsalot, David_42 to name three) who also answered your question seriously and thoughtfully, just using more words to describe... just my $0.02.

chriso said:
Do you actually read all of our replies? That's not very considerate towards the other people (denimglen, Sir Humpsalot, David_42 to name three) who also answered your question seriously and thoughtfully, just using more words to describe... just my $0.02.

Oh I get it. He wants answers in under two sentences. That's cool. I won't waste too much more time on him then, if that's what he wants.

Cheers!

Sir Humpsalot said:
Oh I get it. He wants answers in under two sentences. That's cool. I won't waste too much more time on him then, if that's what he wants.

Cheers!

Pretty much where my sentiments lie, as well...

sufocatefaster:

A couple pointers....

First, most of the folks here probably have been brewing since BI (before internet). Myself, I first started in 1991 BI. I was actually introduced to it by a guy in Kansas in 1984 BI. So, back in the day, you had to find books and do research to learn the basics. Nowadays, younger folks just want to hit the 'net.

Second, even though you are 19 years old, you don't nessasarraly have to act like it. I looked at another post of yours, and paraphrasing, you stated "Dude put some pineapple in" or something like that. Try phrasing your questions in a more adult manner, so it doesn't throw up the "I'm a kid" flag. Also, you don't really have to put your real age on your profile.

A lot of stuff is prohibited to 19 year olds here in the states that may not be in other countries. I don't think the resources here should be restricted to them.....hell, I don't really care if a 19 yr old in this country is reading and brewing.... he's probably not taking it up to get a quick cheap buzz, if so, he could just get an older friend to score him some BMC somewhere anyway, so why would he bother.. he's probably actually interested in the process of brewing.

Just my opinion....

Allan

suffocatefaster said:
My general goal is to make my own beer recipe one day, Is this a farfetched goal or can this be done.

I guess what im asking is, If beer is only four or so ingredients, Is it crazy for a guy like me to dream of my own unique recipe or have basically all types and formats of beer been done already?:)

Absolutely possible. Look at Dogfish Head: he's made new equiptment, used funky hops, added fruit. I'll bet he's also made more batches of undrinkable homebrew in one year than most of us will make in 10. If you want to get funky, make sure you're psychologically prepared to toss hundreds of gallons.

Unique.jpeg

I started making my own recipes with my second batch (1993 BI, :) ), and I haven't looked back yet. I won't, either. Half the fun for me is working up the recipe, seeing how it comes out, and working with it from there.

At the same time, I look at a LOT of recipes, read a LOT about different styles, try a LOT of different beers, and talk a LOT about all the above with other brewers and suppliers. That's how you learn what you want to put in your beer. In that way, it's just like cooking.

There's no way all types of beer have ever been done. Folks have been brewing for thousands of years, but the last 20 have still shown us new things and I expect the same from the next 20, and the 20 after that.

If this craft has found all it can find, then I'm hanging up my mash paddle. Better yet, I'll take it back down and show that there's more to find.

TL

I love making recipes, working usually within the basic confines of what the style is supposed to be like (malty, hoppy, dry, sweet, etc.). Sometimes, like yesterday, I just have a basic idea and work with it (a malty pale ale with lots of fresh hop flavor but not a lot of bitterness).

But - there's a lot of work involved. There's a lot of reading (Ray Daniels, Jamil's new book, lots of others). There's lot of reading about different malts and grains and hops, lots of trying different things and reading about people's experiences. It's not something you just *do* without putting in some effort.

Start with www.howtobrew.com, like we suggested. Read it all the way through. Then read it again. Get a hard copy and put it in the bathroom (mine has about a half-dozen homebrew tomes in there). Try different beer styles (commercial examples) and read different reviews on BeerAdvocate or RateBeer, so that you can start to develop your pallate (maybe someone notes a "nutty" flavor that you didn't notice the first time). Look at clone recipes of beers you really like.

Basically, you build up a big database of information in your head about all the ingredients and all the styles and how all of that stuff can fit together; then, when you start putting your own recipes together, you've got a foundation to work with, you're not just throwing a bunch of random crap in the fermenter.

Here's a secret, too.... the recipe is often, I think, the least-important element of what makes a good beer. Think of a hefeweizen as a classic example - there's really only a couple of ways to put the recipe together, but they don't all taste the same. When you see guys like Mike McDole and Jamil Z consistently win competition after competition, it's not JUST that they have good recipes; it's that they control things like fermentation temperatures so well, and have such great processes in general, that their recipes can truly reach their full potential.

It Is just like cooking. I like Manhatten clam chowder. I found a recipe on the internet, and cooked that dozens of times. One day, at the store, they were out of clam juice. I bought a extra can of clams, just for the juice. Figured, what the heck, threw the whole can in. Now I have clam chowder with extra clams....guess what? I don't buy clam juice anymore.

I'm gonna do the same with the brown ale I've brewed. It's a recipe off of the internet. It's a little heavy on the chocolate malt for my taste, so I'm gonna scale back the chocolate malt, maybe kick up the cara-pils a bit, or maybe even add some brown malt to it. Then, it becomes my own recipe. Most of the recipes out there are some kind of deviation of the "standards". A guy doesn't decide to brew a porter and start from square one. He brews a exsisting porter then tweaks it to his liking.

A lot of people are worried about the hop shortage, but I imagine that some of the brewer "chefs" (chefs create recipes, they understand how different ingredents combine together, I'm just a brewer "cook"...I can follow a recipe) will get real creative with what is available and come up with some incredible recipes this coming year.

Allan

John Beere said:
Back BI, this is literally the level information that was available: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9844

heh

Where the hell you get that book? I've still got my first one, Better Beer and How To brew it by MR Reese. It covers the process of brewing with extracts pretty well.
I still have a small handbook that came with my first kit. The New Brewers Handbook.
I've got the Papazian books, also, plus Brew Ware. I should get Designing Beers or something on developing recipes, though.

Allan

Back