bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jota

Reaction score
hey guys,
i am going to bottle tomorrow and have a question. 3/4 cups of corn sugar + 2 cups of water (as per my instructions), boil then let cool. i then add that to the bottling bucket and siphon my beer on top. how long do i wait to bottle? like do i start as soon as the beer is done siphoning? also, do i mix the beer slightly once its done siphoning??

thanks

I gently stir during and after the transfer and a few times during bottling, with a long handle sanitized sstl spoon. I used to get batches where some bottles were not fully carbonated. The stirring cured that.

And to answer your first question: "Yes" you can begin bottling right away.

followup question

i used the bottling bucket that came with my kit. it has a spigot on it. I used it to fill up the bottles, but noticed that there was a good amount of foam at the top of the beer. this could have been from the star san but didnt know. This could have introduced Oxygen i thought. For next time, should i have not used the spigot, and instead used the wand and siphon?

thanks

Your tubing and bottling wand should fit right into the spigot. You sanitize that, and slide them in. The bottling wand is a nifty thing- it's spring loaded, so it fills when you press, stops when you lift. You definitely don't want to bottle by turning the spigot on and off- as you noticed, you'll get alot of splashing and oxidize your beer.

I hook up some tubing and the bottling wand, and fill the bottles all lined up on the dishwasher door. Open the spigot to the locked open position, and when you press the wand into the bottle, the bottle will fill. When you lift the wand, and it stops filling, you'll have the perfect amount of headspace. There is a full chapter on this in howtobrew.com that even has pictures to go along with it. (http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-6.html)

ok, noob question then.

is the beer i just bottled ruined then? what could happen?

Should be okay. Only thing to do now is to wait and see. But i won't be too concerned about it.

jota said:
cause i aerated it when bottling

You Will BE fine, Some people on here are pretty anal about aerating it, But I splash the hell out of mine and never have any problems with it, I think you will be fine.:mug:

Well, if you splashed it so much it was foaming, you probably will have some oxidation. I don't think you'll even notice it that much, though, especially if you drink it fairly young.

Back