Got Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do, in my fermenting Hefewiesen. This Saturday will be 3 weeks of fermentation. Is it ok to bottle with this suff still in carboy?

I do, in my fermenting Hefewiesen. This Saturday will be 3 weeks of fermentation. Is it ok to bottle with this suff still in carboy?

MMMM KRAUSEN!!!

Average rule of thumb is 10-14 days before taking the first gravity sample. Do you have a hydrometer? If so, do 2-3 days in a row of FG samples...if it has stopped, it's ready!

I almost always ferment for 3 weeks just to be safe and I always have plenty of beer to drink so I'm in no rush to get more beer kegged.

Not sure what you are asking. Are you saying you have an active Kraeusen after three weeks and are wondering if you can bottle while the Kraeusen is still there? Kraeusen is a sign of active fermentation and to bottle would make nice little bottle bombs.

I'd be surprised by a Kraeusen after three weeks though. The longest I had this was for a week and a half and that was with a major RIS that included molasses and honey to push the OG.

I've never done a heffe though so perhaps there is something about this yeast.

I'd be surprised by a Kraeusen after three weeks though. The longest I had this was for a week and a half and that was with a major RIS that included molasses and honey to push the OG.

Could just be that the fermentation chamber is dirty where the krausen was? My krausen drops and my carboys always have residue up to the opening what's remnants of what was once an active fermentation.

I started this thread before I checked carboy,just checked and I'm starting to see the top of my beer. So maybe in 3 days it'll be gone. May have to wait til the following weekend. I'll take a reading tonite

What exactly does this krausen look like? Thin white film or tiny clear bubbles etc?

I've never had any krausen after three weeks, the top should just look clear.

looks edible

photo.jpg

Okay, looks like the krausen that stuck to the carboy is just slowly falling onto the top. If it has fermented out and your gravity is stable you could bottle now. Personally I would rack this to a secondary to clear it out for about a week. If you skip the secondary is it going to be tough to not suck up a bunch of that old krausen into the beer.

Krausen is about 1/8" thick, can see beer in some areas......will let her sit for a couple more days and shoot for bottling on Monday. If I rack it on Saturday, will that be long enough to bottle on Monday?

That looks like it still has active fermentation going on. If the temperature was low it might be taking longer.

If you have increasing krausen there are 2 possible reasons. 1) the original fermentation stalled or slowed then the yeast became more active and resumed an unfinished fermentation. Or 2) you have an infection.

In the case of an infection it might smell or taste bad.

Do not go by bubbles in the airlock. That just means there is off gassing.

You will have to take gravity readings to be sure the fermentation has stopped. You will also find out if you might have had a stalled fermentation.

There is no need to do a secondary if you don't want to. I ferment all mine for at least 3 weeks and have not done a secondary since the third batch (on 33 now) This one will get a secondary though since it is a Wee Heavy and I will have it in secondary for a month or more.

Taking too many samples wastes beer. Plus there still action in the airlock

That doesn't mean anything (airlock activity). He (edit: I now realize this is the OP, if you didn't want to take the advice you're given why post? Just do what you want anyway.) hasn't sampled it once, it's a hefe, they tend to finish pretty quickly., he should sample it. You can worry about wasting it if you want, but I drink my samples. Not a drop goes to waste.

BTW, dollar to donuts, and based on what I've seen: It's DONE.

2nd edit: this response frustrates me. I was trying to help. You ask if it's ok to bottle, I say take a sample and check it, and you tell me that samples waste beer. SMH. Good luck.

That doesn't mean anything (airlock activity). He (edit: I now realize this is the OP, if you didn't want to take the advice you're given why post? Just do what you want anyway.) hasn't sampled it once, it's a hefe, they tend to finish pretty quickly., he should sample it. You can worry about wasting it if you want, but I drink my samples. Not a drop goes to waste.

BTW, dollar to donuts, and based on what I've seen: It's DONE.

2nd edit: this response frustrates me. I was trying to help. You ask if it's ok to bottle, I say take a sample and check it, and you tell me that samples waste beer. SMH. Good luck.

Sorry dude you read the posts the wrong way. I am going to take a reading.

After your reading you will know for sure if it is done. What looks to be krausen in the picture appears to just be left over gunk from the fermentation. It does not always sink to the bottom, particularly when it sticks to the top of the carboy.

OG 1.045
SG 1.020
now what? seems to me it's still fermenting.....my chamber temps were in the mid to low 60's.....chart says 70...oops. so raising temps to 70 for the next 2- 3 days

OG 1.045
SG 1.020
now what? seems to me it's still fermenting.....my chamber temps were in the mid to low 60's.....chart says 70...oops. so raising temps to 70 for the next 2- 3 days

Was it an extract? They freqently get stuck/finish at 1.020. What yeast did you use? If it does call for high temps in the low 70s you have the right plan, heat it up for 2-3 days, take another reading. If it's still at 1.020 you're done. If it's lower, you'll have to wait another few days until you get stable readings. My guess is you're done at 1.020, but you might get another.002 out of it by raising the temps for a few days. But realisitically, beers' gravities (especially in a hefe) won't change too much after 3 weeks in primary. Was it good?

yup extract, used White Labs 320. I'll wait till Monday to do my next reading and go from there. Was it good? sort of.......time will tell once carbonated

Taking too many samples wastes beer.

No offense intended, but I've never understood this view. I only have to thief out about a cup or so to float a hydrometer and I then know exactly where my beer is. I don't pour that beer out, but drink it. By doing this I can find out what is going on, taste wise, at different stages of a beer's process. Of course, I don't start sampling until after airlock action stops, and do as little as possible to prevent infection, but have never seen the information gathered and the lesson learned as a waste of beer.

No offense intended, but I've never understood this view. I only have to thief out about a cup or so to float a hydrometer and I then know exactly where my beer is. I don't pour that beer out, but drink it. By doing this I can find out what is going on, taste wise, at different stages of a beer's process. Of course, I don't start sampling until after airlock action stops, and do as little as possible to prevent infection, but have never seen the information gathered and the lesson learned as a waste of beer.

It's sarcasm

Latest posts

Back