Stainless Coiled or straight tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mob_Barley

Reaction score
Coiled 1/2" annealed stainless tubing is much cheaper than straight 6' tubes. How is it working with the coiled stainless tubing? Can it be straightened easily, or is it better to use the straight tubes (and pay much more)?

I was going to hard plumb the plumbing on a RIMS system, using swagelok fittings and tri-clamps instead of silicone tubing.

I bought Ridgid tubing benders, but was wondering about straightening a coil. I'm getting the idea that it's probably better to bite the bullet and get straight tubes.

I bought 3 - 8ft lengths of 1/2 304 SS for about $60 shipped. I played around with shipping costs for different lengths and found this to be the cheapest.

If you buy coiled, and manage to straighten it to your liking, most likely it will be out of round which will make connecting it to anything very difficult. When tubing is coiled it becomes more oval in shape.

You will not be able to straighten the coil into anything you would want. Just get the straight stuff.

Also, check your manual that came with your bender, for 1/2" tube, it probably recommends a wall thickness no thinner than 0.035" to avoid buckling. I didn't know this and will find out soon if I can manage with the 0.028" wall I have.

Latest posts

Back