Diacetyl saved by strawberry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jathorp

Reaction score
I just racked my first strawberry blonde onto 5 lbs of fresh, sanitized strawberries about an hour after the krausen dropped -- and that's when I had my first experience with diacetyl. (I would have liked to have left it in the primary a few more days, but i'm going out of town.)

Within 15 minutes, I had airlock activity -- it's still going slow and steady. Is the strawberry going to cause the existing yeast to restart and thereby absorb the diacetyl? Should I repitch some more yeast tomorrow before I leave? Am I screwed?

Yes, should be fine as is. If you still have diacetyl in another 10 days, THEN I would consider repitching.

As a side note, be sure you've got plenty of headspace, and maybe even a blow-off tube on your secondary, or wherever you're fermenting on the fruit. I have had some pretty awesome explosions before.

Back