My new gravity frame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How heavy do you think it is? I need to build something like that but I want to keep it in the basement and carry it out to my garage for use.

seriously.. need more info.

The following pics are for the top shelf, 2 mid shelves, and the uprights. The base is just 18" x 36" and I eyed up the box on the base for the propane tank. I had some extra steel so I also welded another cross member opposite of the propane tank to accomodate a pump. The actual uprights on my frame are 1" to 2" longer because I just happened to have two end pieces that were a little longer and I figured a little more height couldn't hurt. I bought the casters at castercity.com for like $65. I bought all the gas lines, valves, heat shields, jets, burners, and regulator at morebeer.com.

Oh, the lengths of the 8" and 7.07" parts should be 7.5". (I didn't update this print after the correction.
3046850830_3e3d8c12b1.jpg

I've got a general question for people using these upright type stands. Isn't there danger that the evaporating wort will do nasty things to the top burner? Among the nasty things that I can think of are corrosion or condensing and then dripping back into the boil kettle with all sorts of dissolved materials.

I had a lid on my boil kettle. I don't recall seeing too much steam going up and getting the upper burner wet.

But you won't have a lid on it during the actual boil.

Yeah I did. Had a very slow boil. If the rattling of the lid bothers you just fabricate something to lift up the side of the lid for venting. I figure a metal coathanger would work. I was listening to music in the garage and it flooded out the lid rattling.

It's not the rattling that I'd be concerned with; it is the DMS that is dripping back into your beer. You should never boil with a lid fully or partially on.

I did not know that.

Well, I will let you know what kind of moisture I notice up on the burner next time I make a batch which will be with the lid off. It will be a while though as I gotta take care of the X-Mas gifts now...

Welding really isn't too difficult- provided you go with a mig setup. I taught myself how to arc weld (well, I know HOW to do it, but it's a real trick to do it consistently well). I would think you could learn mig in half an hour.

Welding really isn't too difficult- provided you go with a mig setup. I taught myself how to arc weld (well, I know HOW to do it, but it's a real trick to do it consistently well). I would think you could learn mig in half an hour.

My frame was tacked together with an arc welder because when we were about to start up the mig we noticed we were out of gas.

Arc welding is hard as heck when you are using light wall tubing. I had about a half dozen occasions where I was tacking two pieces together and then WHACK! A hole the size of a nickel appeared in the steel.

Mig welding is fun to me. (Probably because I don't do it for a living.) Near the end of the build I was able to put down some beautiful welds. I would like to buy a mig welder in the future. It would be fun building frames for people.

Latest posts

Back